Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vodka-Redbull + Laptop = Uh oh...

• Please log in to reply

Foreu2env

Foreu2env

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
OK so i was on spring break in a nice hotel along Panama City Beach drinking a Vodka Redbull when my friend threw a beer can at me, which knocked my glass onto my laptop. i imediately turned it off , turned it upside down, and unhooked the battery...
the next day i tried turning it on but i have a bios password, and the keyboard didn't seem to be working (i'd hit one letter, and it'd say i hit 4) SO i figured it was dead... came home from vacation this weekend and hooked it up to an external USB keyboard, turned it on, entered the passwords and boom, it was working. The problem is, the keyboard definitely appears to be screwed... and it seems like the volume control got soaked and i didn't realize it. The dial on the side was sticky and didn't wanna move, and when i did move it, it sent crackling noises over the speakers....

I went into the hardware tab of system properties and disabled both my sound card and onboard keyboard, now everything seems to be working fine. EXCEPT i have to use an external keyboard and i have no sound...
Anyone know how much it may ? (guess) cost to get the keyboard replaced and maybe somethin done about the sound?? (is there PCMCIA sound cards i could install???) etc... just ideas.

In other places people have suggested using my home owners insurance as a claim but since its working... i wondered if people had ideas to fix the existing problems

Thanks for your time
-Steve Brozowski, Michigan

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
deffinitely sounds like a case of alcohole abuse....i'm gonna assume that your LT isn't under warranty so let's not even suggest that....as far as homeowners insurance...you may be able to file a claim if you originally listed the computer with the policy..

replacing the keyboard would be simple for a computer shop that is actually reputable (very hard to find these days) the sound on the other hand would be difficult as that's part of the motherboard...which..the sound card going out means taht some of the other motherboard componants may be gummed up as well.....there are pcmcia sound cards as well as usb sound cards for laptops...