Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

manual windows update?

• Please log in to reply

beautron

beautron

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
anyone know how i can use windows update manually.
when disabling unwanted services i was informed that with
automatic updates, bits, and event log disabled you can update windows manually?
is there like another web address r somethin r wha?
tanx, micky b

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
You can set your settings to have windows update notify you when critical updates have been released -- but they won't be downloaded automatically.

Go to THIS PAGE and change your settings.

beautron

beautron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
thanks dude.
i dont want them to b downloaded automatically, as i want my system as barebone as possible,
i just want to be able to get them meself ye know.
how can i download them myself?
tanx

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
They notify you that they are ready to be downloaded. You can click download now or just ignore them. It's best to install critical updates ASAP.

P.S. I'm a dudette. :tazz:

beautron

beautron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
oh [bleep] haha sorry dudette, isnt everyone called a dude nowadays, being the pc world that is is n all haha.
so the update thing ur tlking bout is an automatic service? (ie background service runin the whole time)
thanks again dudette, micky b

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Yes, you can set it for manual update and automatic update. Just check that you want to set it to run manually at your command.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
turn off automatic updates all together....and use the windows update link from the start menu....once you get to the windows update page...select the custom option....and that will let you select which updates to download