Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer taking longer and longer to start up!

• Please log in to reply

lexabean

lexabean

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi there,

When I switch my computer on, the power starts but there is an increasingly longer gap before it actually starts loading up. However when it does load up it's absolutely fine, no further problems. This gap between between switching the power on and it loading is up to about 5-6 hours now (!) which is obviously causing major problems. The only other thing I've noticed is just before it starts to load there's often a series of clicks.

Can anyone identify what's going wrong? It's obviously a little bit hard to get into the BIOS and check fan temps etc as I only have the chance once every 5 hours!!

Many thanks for any advice you have!

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
This "clicking" could mean your hard drive is about to die!

When you say it takes a long time to power up, are you saying you don't even see the bootup information, or are you talking about windows?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Checking the temps, fans, and voltages is possible from Windows. With the following program, not only can you check that, but you can also check your hard drive to see if it is healthy or not:

Please download Speed Fan and install it.

Start Speed Fan. When it is fully loaded, take a screen shot of the first screen by pressing Print Screen/SysRq on your keyboard. Open Paint and paste. Save the screenshot as a JPEG and post it in a reply to me. Now click on the tab called S.M.A.R.T. and take a screenshot of that as well. Post it in your reply to me as well.

Let's see what's going on...

lexabean

lexabean

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
when i say loads up, i mean absolutely everything including bootup info. i'm just doing the speed fan stuff now

lexabean

lexabean

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
OK here are the screenshots, thanks!!

readings.JPG smart.JPG

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,730 posts
When you power the machine up, is there anything displayed on the screen? If not, then I would suspect a problem with the power supply or motherboard.

From the screenshot the -5v seems to be a bit off and the +5 on the right side seems low.

Could you be more specific as to what happens and when. Is the screen completely blank until it starts running? Does it get part way throught the POST?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
The -5 voltage is way too low!

The 3.3 and 5 volt readings need to be within the .5 volt limit or you'll start to see system hang issues. I suspect your long boots are due to a failing power supply.

Replace your power supply, and your problems should be resolved.

lexabean

lexabean

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
OK, a power supply problem did seem quite likely, thanks for all the help!

lexabean

lexabean

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I replaced the power supply, it hasn't made any difference at all, the same things keep happening. Any other suggestions gratefully received!

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Let's collect more information about your computer:

Download and run WinAudit. Save the audit to your desktop. This will save three files. Take all three files and put them into a single zip (compressed) folder. Name the folder WinAudit. In order to protect the safety of your computer, do NOT attach the folder to a post here. Take that folder and send it to me through a PM (Private Message) instead, that way it is not available to the public.

lexabean

lexabean

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Not an option, in replacing the power supply the computer hasn't come back on yet, not sure it's going to!

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Put the original power supply back in and do the WinAudit for me.

And please post the specs on your old power supply and the new one. You can find this info on the sticker for the power supplies.