Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP wants me to choose an account to log in?

• Please log in to reply

Rickie

Rickie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Aside from my current sound problem(Link), this one arised yesterday. Whenever the computer is switched on and loads, it comes to the screen with the little avatar and account name. One. It never used to ask, now it does. Two. It used to have "administrator" as the other account. now it only displays the one i'm currently using. I don't know if that's bad, I don't use the other account seeing as this one has full privledges anyways.

Can anyone tell me what I should do?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Rickie!

The reason you all of a sudden need to click the avatar to login to windows is that you most likely recently installed the .NET Framework. To solve this problem, is you need to go to Windows Update and download Service Pack 1 for .NET Framework 1.0. After you install that and reboot the computer, you should no longer have to click the Avatar to login to windows as long as you only have one account set up on the computer.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 13 March 2006 - 04:58 PM.

beethoven

beethoven

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Also, you haven't messed with "User Accounts" in the Control Panel have you? You could have accidentaly turned on a guest account or added yourself an account thinking that you were just changing the name but really created a new one.

Rickie

Rickie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Nah mate, Fenor got it right. :tazz: I had just installed that so I could use idleTunes, alright..i'll give that a shot. ^^

Rickie

Rickie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Yep, 'sall good now thanks. ^^ One problem down, one to go. XD

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
There is also a patch for the service pack, so another trip to microsoft update needed for that

Boot the PC to safe mode and see if it shows the administrator account

Rickie

Rickie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
I think after I logged back in it downloaded and installed the patch...then I had to restart again. So I guess it's fine now.

And it doesn't really matter about the account, don't need to know. ^^