Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

voyager 205 probs

• Please log in to reply

supakon

supakon

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hi,don't know if i'm posting in the right place,i've had a voyager 205 and a d-link des1005d switch for about a year now,had2 pc's networked,had no problems whatsoever during that time but recently added a 3rd pc,all using cat5 cables,that's when the problem started.i keep losing internet connction,the power light is on the dsl light is on and the ethernet light flashes,i can see and access all pc's on the network,even play a 2 hour+ yuri's revenge with no disconnections but to get internet connection working again i have to turn the voyager off then turn it back on,there doesn't appear to be a time limit on when it disconnects,sometimes hours and sometimes minutes,it is really starting to pee me off so any help would be appreciated,thank you :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so if you DON"T have the 3rd computer (talking about that machine specifically...not just the number of machines) connected you don't drop off?
or if you remove ANY of the three (not just the last one added) does the connection problem still occur or does it resolve itself?

supakon

supakon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
sorry,i thought i'd covered everything,thanks,i disconnected the 3rd pc and just had the 2 original pc's running but the problem still exists,i have upgraded the firmware on the voyager but it still does it,i hope this helps with a solution

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok..so first two p cs on the network...everything works great....add a 3rd one and the whole thing dies....and if you remove the 3rd one...it stays dead?(of course...by dead i mean no internet access...seems like the LAN itself stays working no matter what)

supakon

supakon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
LAN stays working,when i turn voyager off then back on internet connection comes back on

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
one last question here for clarrification:
you've got two computers hooked to the setup...then you add a third....the internet goes down...you remove the third computer...and reset the modem...internet comes back up?

also you didn't answer my question about if it matters which computer you concider the 3rd computer (i.e. hook up all three...internet dies...remove computer1...reset modem...does the internet come back?)

wanna see if this is linked to the actual machine...or the total number of machines

supakon

supakon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
it doesn't matter which 2 are conncted,the 3rd(last machine i added)hasn't been conncted for 2 days but the problem is still there,even if i have all 3 connected,i can connect to net on all of them,then after a while i can't access the net on any of them,reboot the voyager and all 3 or 2 depending on how many i got connected connect to net again,hopefully this helps,sorry i'm well known for being long winded and go a long way round a short question lol

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so if you only have 2 machines connected you still get the same problem?

supakon

supakon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
sorry i forgot to add this,even if i only have 1 running,disconnected from switch,connected only to the router using cat5 ethernet cable,it still disconnects,it disconnects with 2 and 3 connected

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sounds like an isp issue...have you contacted your isp regarding this? it sounds like something on their end...if any and all computers hooked to the modem have the same exact issue...then it sounds like either the modem is somehow configured wrong (the voyager comes preconfigured from BT doen't it?) or something wrong on the ISP end

supakon

supakon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i haven't contacted them yet i will do that next,thanks and i'll keep you posted on the outcome

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
When you contact BT try doing it via the live chat rather than phone as its cheaper and the people at the other end are usually more knowledgable. That said you have little chance of properly reconfiguring them on your own as its fairly complex even to open some ports its pretty hard(cant be done properly in the settings).