Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why are there so many wireless problems?

• Please log in to reply

rustyorange

rustyorange

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone

I have wasted lots of time recently trying to get my Dell Inspiron 6000 to work with a D-Link

DSL-G604T router. Everything was OK until there were regular dropouts every couple of minutes.

Phoned D-Link and went through resetting and ajustments ect. Worked for a little while then more dropouts.

Speeds dropped from 54Mbps to 1Mbps, all the time the signal is excellent! D-link cannot help so try the

ADSL company more playing with settings & pings (what a learning curve). Things are OK again but again

it all goes wrong now the stupid machine cannot even connect.

Thankgoodness for the old cable(even if old fashioned).

Well, getting to the point I have noticed a lot of people have similar problems. The issue seems to be

Intel wireless cards (mine is Intel pro/wireless 2915abg) The are a lot of posts at

http://forums.us.del...id=insp_network

and

http://www.dslreport...2904785~start=0

but there are many suggestions to try and I don't want to make a complete mess.

I see there are users here with similar problems and thought you might be able to advise because

the more I learn the less I know.

Thankyou

Sue :tazz:

Advertisements

susiegirl07

susiegirl07

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
We all search for the answer for this question :tazz: I hope one day we will find it. I have the same problem if you would like to read the link.

http://www.geekstogo...howtopic=100635

:) :) :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i think alot of the issues with wireless is that it's a rushed technology....the first home wireless routers and wireless cards came out for computers and everyone went bonkers...they bought and bought and bought...then the centrino confusion (does it really help with wireless....debatable)...now there are wireless hot spots all over the planet....but is the technology where it should be? the security isn't what it could be....the transfer rates are deffinitely not where they should be...and there haven't really been many advancements in the architecture for quite some time...i can get gigabit speeds on my wired network....really fun with my t1 here at work...but if i were to use the wireless...54 mbps.. slooowdown...i just think the technology could be implimented beter...

Jmody

Jmody

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
im not sure if this has anythign to do with this topc but i think it does. I was speaking to a gateway tech and he informed me that sometimes windows xp needs to be cleared out by doing a system restore destructive. he said that sometimes after a year the wireless just goes to [bleep] and that will fix it. Sucky fix unless you back up your stuff pretty regularly.