Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 98 OS IE 6.0 Browser won't load webpage after a reboot for 10

• Please log in to reply

Rabideen

Rabideen

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
It takes 10 - 15 minutes after launching webpages, closing web pages and re-enabling Winipcfg release/renew until a web page will load. Once success is achieved, subsequent webpages load with no problem.

OS = Win 98
Browswer = IE 6.0 (fully updated)
Connection = DSL behind a Link Sys Router
Hardware = Compaq Presario 5900Z (AMD 650 Athlon 384 RAM)

First experienced the problem 2 days ago, after manually pressing the "I" key on the keyboard to connect to the Internet instead of launching the IE icon. Got a quick message that indicated the settings had changed, from the original install, hit an "OK" screen (don't remember exactly what it asked) and I have had prolems ever since.

Any ideas on how to remedy?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

Rabideen

Rabideen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I get an error message after typing "eventvwr.msc" = cannot find the file or one of its components. I'm running Win 98 second edition.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
dsenette, Windows 98 doesn't have eventvwr :tazz: .

Does the problem still occur if you use Mozilla Firefox as your browser instead?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah...i know that...but for whatever reason i didn't see the 12 references to windows 98 in the first post.....

Rabideen

Rabideen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

dsenette, Windows 98 doesn't have eventvwr :) .

Does the problem still occur if you use Mozilla Firefox as your browser instead?

After a 12 minute wait, I was able to launch IE and download Firefox. I rebooted and launced IE with no success. I then launched Firefox and had instant access. As I type this reply in Firefox, IE still hasn't loaded a webpage.

So what do you guys think? Is it worth it to try to configure IE 6 to ork correctly? This machine is for my kids...ages 3 and 5. They can both navigate in IE but I haven't taught them Firefox since I seldom use it. :tazz:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Firefox is very similar to IE. You will probably have to download pluggins for it here and there to make certain things work, such as Java or Active X controls.

Firefox is definatly more secure than IE, and has less bugs.

Considering you have Windows 98, it could prove to be a challenge to repair IE, but if you want to, we're here for ya. Just let us know. :tazz: