Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP CHANGING MY PC CASE TO A NEW CASE!

• Please log in to reply

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Just to let you know i have 2 - 1gig processor vectra vl400's right now. The other one is a 933. I can swap processors and the bios sees the difference. Still havent figured out why everytime i make a memory change they beep at me and ask me to verify the change. Of course i really havent delved into the bios much. Funny how you can disable the pci slots in the bios.

SRX660

Advertisements

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
FOR SAMM & SRX660,

TO SRX660:
are you trying to say that if I add new ram the system will beep at me? How will I make it accept the new ram? Don't I just need to put the ram in the slots on my mobo, turn the pc power on and that's it? I'm asking because I'm getting two 256MB ram chips, and I want to know what to be ready for when I install it. So that they may work. As for the pentium 3 chip question... I hope I can find a store in my area that has a 1gig processor for my hp vectra. I wonder if the p3 1gig chip would be expensive. I wonder how much they cost now. Is there any big difference from a 800mhz p3 chip, and a 1gig p3 chip? Should I not be concerned and not get it? If it will help performance and be good for my system let me know.

TO SAMM:
You continue to amaze me in your vast knowledge of computers. I will buy that new hard drive this week as well. By the way I'm picking up the new case tommorow. I hope that you can explain how I can do a partition. I know how to partition using my old win98se floppy start up disc that i use when i reinstall windows. Maybe I should be making a new winxp start up disc? I dunno, my windows xp is an upgrade from win98se, so i have to install win98se before I do windows. I notice that if i go to "my computer" right now my hard drives say FAT32. I dunno if this is bad. But anyways put it this way, when i get my new 80GB western digital hard drive i want to take into consideration what you said about making more than one partition. I assume this means like a virtual extra discs on one hard drive??? Yes well anyways I want to do so my pc runs fast while i do audio editing/mixing etc. These are extensive tasks and require full attention and resource from hard drives. I currently have one 10GB hard drive and a smaller one in this system. I am going to salvage one and still use it, and the other I'll give away. So I will have the 10GB which is currently in my system, and I will have the new 80GB one as well. Can you tell me what I need to do to have all that partition stuff (ie: how many partitions you recommend for my musical habits, how I go about doing so with my win98se startup floppy disc - since I need that to install winxp - unless i can make one with winxp and use that). One problem I have is that I have my O/S on the hard drive (10GB) I am going to use with the new 80GB. Is there a way for me to just pass whats on my 10GB (the O/S) to the new 80GB one? How will I go about this whole process when I get the new 80GB drive and still use my old 10GB one? Please let me know the process and steps. by 1.2.3.4. etc. if you can or just tell me how. Otherwise Im going to have to do what i know which is wipe out the 10Gb hard drive i have. Reinstall win98se on the new 80 gig and than put in winxp upgrade. and make the discs fat32's (i dunno how to change that - or if this is good or bad). & than i'll have to download all those windows updates again. By the way I have my two small hard drives sharing an ide ribbon which than goes onto my mobo. I am planing to do the same on the new hard drive. Hope this doesnt make things bad does it?

I SUCKKKKKKKKKK

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

LOLOLOLOLOL

I JUST WANT TO HAVE THE BEST COMPUTER SETUP SRX600 AND SAMM ... PLEASE HELP ME ACHIEVE MY GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by superstar, 23 March 2006 - 01:06 AM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
In the overall scale of processors i don't think you will notice any better performance by switching to a 1 gig processor. Yes, in theory it should be 20% faster, but in real use of the computer, programs won't open any faster, and they really won't be a noticeable speed increase. The processors really arent worth much anymore. Heres one for $35.

http://www.memorytek...&products_id=49

When the computer beeps at me when changing memory around it asks me if i want to accept the new configuration. There is a popup window with yes highlighted. I hit the enter key and then the puter accepts it and goes into the boot process.

I have win XP on one of the vectra's. I do not like it as it isn't really much faster than Win 98SE. If you really need XP you can set the boot order in the bios to boot from the cdrom drive first. Doing so and putting a XP cd in the cdrom drive, when you reboot the computer XP should start to install on the computer.

If you use the 10 gig drive as your primary master and the 80 gig as the slave, you can install XP on the 10 gig drive. This will take 3 to 3.5 gigs. I use to partition drives with a 10 gig "C" drive and the rest of the drive as "D". Because i like to try out software some times i can get to a almost full 10 gig drive so i now make a 20 gig partition for the OS and programs. Since you are using a upgrade CD Xp will install over win 98 and you do need 98 on the drive so the XP CD will see that you have a previous OS.

Do not worry about the 80 gig drive till later. After you get XP installed you can go back and partition and format the drive in windows. I personally like to partition the drives before installing the OS but that is just me. You can also switch your fat32 partitions over to NTFS after the XP install. Heres a couple of websites to read up on. One thing you must do for the 80 gig HD is to use a 80 wire ribbon cable to hook to the motherboard. Some computers complain about using 40 wire cables on the new faster HD's. You should get a 80 wire cable if you have bought the drive as retail.

http://www.winsupers...xp_sg_clean.asp

http://www.theelderg...hard_drives.htm

http://www.practical...xpfattontfs.htm

When i have 2 hard drives i will put all data on the second drive. I will install programs on the first drive along with XP but ALL data goes to the second drive. I will make folders on the second drive to put my data into. I make a documents folder, a download folder, a music folder, etc until i am happy with what i got there. In each folder you can make sub folders to organize your data. I have 4 music folders with 30 sub folders in each. Each subfolder holds all the songs to an album with the folder named after the artist. If i have more than one album for an artist i just make more folders, one for each album, inside the artist folder.

SRX660

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Right, I will talk you through the partitioning in detail when you get the new drive. For now though, can you tell me how many internal optical drives you have? The reason for me asking will become clear later.

As for the 10GB/80GB configuration, your new 80GB drive is ATA-100. Your 10GB will probably only be ATA-66. Obviously you want to use the 80GB drive for audio file access, but I suggest that you also use it for Windows as well, to speed up disk access for Windows & the programs.

This means using the 10GB for something like Internet downloads or for backing up (storing second copies) of data. Either of these two applications are ideal as neither require ultra fast disk access, and 10GB is an adequate size for either of these 2 things.

Another option, is to keep the 10GB drive as the primary (C drive), format it & install win98 on it. When you then go to upgrade to XP, instruct the XP install to perform a fresh installation to the first partition on the 80GB drive (This will probably become the D drive). The advantage of this is that you can then choose to boot to either 98 or XP, so if XP goes pear shaped, you can still boot to 98 (and vice versa). The disadvantage of doing this, is that the partition you designate for storing the audio files on, must be formatted as FAT32 (not NTFS), otherwise 98 won't be able to see it.

If you decide to install XP to the 80GB drive as I suggested, but NOT have 98 on the 10GB drive, then in theory you shouldn't need to have 98 installed first in order to upgrade it to XP. If you install XP Upgrade without 98 already installed, the XP install should just ask you to insert the 98 CD at some point, in order to verify that you own a copy of it. The only time this may not work is if you own an OEM copy of win98, instead of a retail copy.

-don't forget to let me know how many optical drives you have in the system.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

You can also switch your fat32 partitions over to NTFS after the XP install.

What is the difference betwen fat32 and NTFS?

One thing you must do for the 80 gig HD is to use a 80 wire ribbon cable to hook to the motherboard. Some computers complain about using 40 wire cables on the new faster HD's. You should get a 80 wire cable if you have bought the drive as retail.

What's the difference between an 80 wire ribbon and normal ribbons? What does an 80 wire ribbon look like?

Yes!!!! Yesterday I did buy the 80GB Western Digital hard drive. As seen here:
Hard Drive Pic & Specs

The reason for the 80 wire ribbon question is because I bought new ribbons. I assume those are the ones you use to plug the hard drive into the mobo (The gray plug things). Well when I bought the ribbons they look like the ones on my vectra. Execpt that there brand new!!! lol. But I don't know what you mean by 80 wire ribbon.

Anyways I bought the new case and I bought the new hard drive. I must say I have'nt been online for two days due to the tedious task of assembling the case myself. It took me at least 12 hours to finish it, fully with the mother board installed and working. I was so glad when I seen that it worked!!!! I thought I was sure in for a surprise and that it would never turn on again! I bought a brand new 450 watt psu, two new ribbons (optical, & hard drive), a new 80mm led fan, and the new 80gb hard drive. It's all working perfectly. You can see the pic of my pc before/after below under this post.

I have the 80GB hard drive in the system but it is not plugged in for use yet. I do not have the ribbon on it or the psu plug powering it up. It's just sitting dead in my pc. I do not want to touch it and do stuff to it until you guys tell me the proper way to make it work, according to my pc lifestyle, and tasks. By the way SRX600 mentioned using win98 and winxp on my system so I can choose whichever one I'd want to boot from. I do not want to do that. I'm okay with the xp ugrade from win98se on my system. I'm cool with just having xp on this pc.

As for Samm, I had two optical drives in my vectra, but now in my new tower I have one. I left the old optical drive that came with the vectra in the vectra. I only took out the new LG dual layer dvd-rw that I had in the vectra and put that in my new case. I did'nt use the vectras optical drive because the faceplate color is faded and looks old, and I left the floppy drive in the vectra because it has no actual faceplate. It would only sit in the vectra masked by its front floppy disc panel (the huge faceplate thing that snaps off the front of the pc, that covers the entire front of the vectra). But don't worry I know how to temporarly install the floppy, and the old optical drive if I need them. Or in this case if you tell me I need them. I need to buy a new CD-Rom with the same color as my LG optical drive, and a floppy in the same color as well. The ultimate last thing I need is two 256MB PC133 ram chips and than my vectra pc transformation is over.

Okay here I'll mention what I need out of my new 80GB hard drive. Samm and SRX600 feel free to give me both of your opinions on how to use it. & keep in mind that I am also going to be using the old 10GB hard drive that I had in my vectra that I am using right now in the new tower. Also keep in mind that my 80GB hard drive is in my system unplugged and not in use.

What I want out of my new 80GB hard drive:

- I want to have it help my pc run faster in anyway possible.

- I have to use it for my audio programs, such as Cubase SX, Adobe Audition, Fruity Loops, T Racks, etc. Keep in mind I am a sound engineer for real life in a recording studio. & I take the files of the songs that we record at the studio and bring them home to mix here. Each song file can be up to 1gig. & than I open the song file in the programs I mention and do real time editing. Just picture audio editing as if it were video editing. You need to have a lot of hard drive space in order for the programs to work at its best. This is the #1 reason why I bought this hard drive. I currently have over 500 cdr's with one sound recording session file on each of them. I would like to store some on my new 80GB hard drive. & work on them from there. Instead of having to open up all these spindles all the time, and searching for the right disc out of so many spindles.

- I am planning on using my old 10GB hard drive for a back up. Or internet downloads, etc. Or as just extra space! lol. As you both have told me that having the xp on my 80GB will be better and faster for my system. I am going to hate the fact that I have to re-install windows and every program but what can I do? That is definetly going to take me an entire day. Especially with all those windows updates etc. Not to mention the fact that I am on dial up! lol. 7x faster dial up on an accelorater program with netscape as my provider. So the internet is pretty fast, but downloads are slow as it tends to use the 56k modems speed for downloads. 4-5MB can take up to 20mins.

- You guys mentioned that using more than one partition on my 80GB hard drive is recommended. I have no idea how to do that. I mean as I said I am using winxp upgrade from win98se. I do know how to make the one partition, format, and than install the win98se o/s, than install the winxp upgrade. But I don't know how to make multiple partitions on one drive. That you would need to explain! Oh and I am assuming I need only a couple or more partitions on my 80Gb hard drive right? I just want what is needed to make my system smooth and reliable, and to get the best out of my new 80GB hard drive. Like I don't know if you guys are going to go partition crazy and tell me to make 20 partitions when they are not necessary! lol.

- I am also going to use it to copy dvds. We film movies at the studio, documentaries on ourselves. & we send them to this video editor and he gives us the film edited as a movie on a dvd. Which we usually take to a duplicator to copy and than sell. We do shows too, and we sell these shows in local stores. So instead of paying $200 for 50 dvds to be copied and printed by a duplicator. I want to do this by myself at home using my pc and this 80GB hard drive. As I was told by a friend that I would need to have a huge amount of GB to rip a dvd with the programs he gave me to do so.

& thats all I can think of right now. Those are the only things I need out of my new 80GB hard drive. It looks beautiful in my system and I can't wait to use it. Please give me clear instructions on how to do this.

But now I would like to take this time out to thank two very special genuis people whom have helped me transform an old HP Vectra into a work of art. Oh yah. If your wondering why I did this to my vectra, I figure I can just change my mobo, processor, and ram later on as an upgrade in the far future. & than I would attach the optical drives, and my hard drives to the new mobo. & I figure that would save me a whole of a lot money than buying a new pc.

THANK YOU SRX600, AND SAMM FOR ALL OF YOUR SUPPORT. YOU WERE NOT PHYSICALLY HERE HELPING ME DO THIS TO MY PC. BUT YOU WERE IN SPIRIT AND INTELLIGENCE. ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE MAKING SOMEONE ELSES KNOWLEDGE EXPAND. THEREFORE HELPING THE HUMAN RACE BECOME BETTER AND SMARTER PEOPLE. IN DUE TIME YOUR KNOWLEDGE WILL MAKE A CIRCLE AROUND THE EARTH. SRX600 YOUR A GENUIS, AND SAMM BABE YOUR BRAINS MAKE ALL THESE GEEKSGOWILD!!!!

HERE ARE THE LONG AWAITED PICTURES OF MY "HP VECTRA VL400" TRANFORMED IN IT'S NEW ACRYLIC CASE, NEW 450WATT PSU, NEW LED FAN, ONE SPARE OLD 80MM BLACK FAN, NEW RIBBONS, NEW HEATSINK W/FAN, AND NEW LIFE!!!!!! EVERYONE OF THESE THINGS WORKED LIKE A CHARM BECAUSE OF YOU!
Posted Image]Pic 1[/url]
Posted Image]Pic 2[/url]
Posted Image]Pic 3[/url]

One Last Thing. I have three fan holes in my case. These can be used to attach fans. One is on the front of the case, one is on the top of the case, and the third one is on the side panel of the case. You can see the case by itself empty in the picture below. How do I place these fans? Which should be exhaust and which should be intake? I currently have two fans attached to the case as you seen in the picture above. I have a normal black 80mm fan blowing air into the pc on the front of the case, which I believe stands for intake. I also have a new blue led 80mm fan on the top of the case that I think is blowing air outwards as exhaust, I just can't tell because the wind it gives off is hard to tell or feel. All I know the fans leds are not outside of the case, they are inside. Meaning the leds on the fan are pointing toward the inside of the case not outside at me. I want to know how to configure the air properly. Please help! So than when I buy the last third fan I will be all set to go. I have the third hole on the side empty with no fan. I hope this is'nt ruining my system! lol. Here is the pic of the fan with nothing in it so you get a better idea.
Posted Image
Go here for an even bigger view of the case empty: Empty Case (LARGE PIC)

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME! SRX600 AND SAMM AND EVERYONE ELSE WHO WILL POST ANSWERS!!

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Nice looking case there superstar. On the fans, most people install the latest MB, processors, and video cards in these type of cases. The new hardware run a lot hotter than your vectra hardware. The side hole is used to blo air straight to either the processor or the video card for extra cooling. It's not needed in your case. I would use the top fan for exhausts as heat always rises so this is a good place for the exhaust. Intake fans are usually low and to the front like yours is.

Heres the intake side of a fan.

http://www.nexfan.co...0mm-sleeve.html

And heres the exhaust side. notice the struts holding the fan motor in place.

http://www.nexfan.co...80lowspfan.html

Right now it looks like you have your fans working right. Make sure you can see the motor braces in the fan at the top.

Heres a explaination of 80 pin and 40 pin cables with pictures.

http://www.pcguide.c...onf_Cable80.htm

On the hard drive. Since you are going to use XP and have said what your using the computer for, i would hook up the 80 gig drive and not even use the 10 giger. I would just save up to buy a even larger(160, 200 or 250 gig) drive later on. Much easier to edit videos with very large drives. Others may not agree but i would partition the drive in 2 partitions. The first partition of 20 gigs for the OS and all software. This also lets you have the swap space on the first partition with plenty of room. After that you can partition the rest of the drive as a partition for the data files( videos, etc). If you set the bios on the motherboard to boot the cdrom drive first you should be able to put the XP upgrade CD in the drive and install on the first partition. When Xp is installing on a new unpartitioned drive it will ask you what kind of partition you want. At that time you will tell XP to make the 20 gig partition and make it active. Do not worry about partitioning the rest of the drive yet. You can partition the rest of the drive in XP after it is installed.

Heres a XP install website.

http://www.michaelst...nxpinstall.html

I know it's a lot to read but get thru it and maybe read it a couple of times. It really does explain very well what to do.

Ask more questions when you need to. Go slowly so you understand what your doing. We will still be here to help. I must go now as i have a 14 hour day to do. So i may not get back here for 2 days. Have fun.

SRX660

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
This what I would do re. the drives etc.

Remove the 10GB completely for now. That way theres no chance of anything on that drive getting deleted or damaged by accident.

Connect the 80GB drive up as a Master on the primary IDE controller. Make sure the drive is detected correctly in the bios.
Boot from the XP CD to start the installation. When it asks you for a qualifying product, insert the 98 CD. Remove the 98 CD again when it tells you to.

Early on in the installation, XP will ask you where you want to install it. It will tell you there is 80GB (approx) of unpartitioned space. Choose to Create a partition in the space (press the C key to do this). When it asks you for the size, I would opt for something like 30GB. 20GB as minimum. Obviously, it depends on how much space you need for audio files. If you choose to make the C drive 60GB for example, this only leaves 20GB for audio.
Tell XP to format the drive as NTFS.

Do not worry about partitioning the rest of the drive space until XP is installed.

Let us know how you get, whatever you decide to do.

BTW. You can add the 10GB drive back in later on. Personally I would put it on the secondary IDE controller though, along with the optical drive.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Samm did you see my new casein my post above "SRX600's" post? That post above his was ment for you too. You like it? lol.

I do... I figure all I have to do in the future to upgrade is change the mobo, processor, and ram.

I see what you guys mean about the hard drive. I'm going to go with setting drive c: as 20GB, and using 60GB for my audio files. What will happen to the 60GB that I do not not partition after doing the partition you mentioned on the 20GB? Will it automatically partition itself? And appear as another drive in the "MY COMPUTER" option?

Can you tell me if I have the fan on the top of my computer pointing the right way? SRX600 said that it should be an exhaust fan (I guess he ment pointing/leading air outwards of the case. I have an led fan on the top of my case and the leds are pointing toward the inside of my case, and I believe the air is comming outwards towards me. But I can't tell because the fan is silent and the air it gives off is very hard to feel. Here is a pic of the same fan I have. Notice how the leds are behind with the psu cable behind as well. Thats how it is set on the top of my pc. The leds are in my system and so is the psu cable. Like.... Ummm, how can I explain it???? Oh yess... The fan has none of those 4 bars sticking outside of my pc towards me. The four bars thing are inside pointing inside the case. The fan has nothing to block it outside staring back at me. I can literally put my finger there and feel the fan spinning. If I wanted too (though that would be stupid of me while it is running). Here is the pic of the way my fan is pointing towards me:

http://www.case-mod....ter_blue_lg.jpg

or look at this pic, this is the same fan I have pointing the same direction. Notice how the leds are behind the fan....

http://www.canadacom...5131&cid=FN.505

SRX600 said that this fan has to be an exhaust fan as the hot air rises in my pc. so i hope i have it pointing the right way. I know that I have the front fan on my case as intake. That I know for sure as I can feel the strong gust of air blowing into my pc. As for the extra side fan on my side panel of my case. SRX600 said that has to be another intake fan that will blow at my pci/agp cards. I plan to buy that fan soon. I hope that by me not having that fan on the side of my pc doesnt screw up my system.

Edited by superstar, 25 March 2006 - 09:10 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

Yes, I think the new case looks fantastic!

Re. the remaining 60GB of unpartitioned space...once XP is installed, you can partition the rest of the drive through (XP's) disk management. I will guide you through this once you get to that stage.

Re. the top case fan :
Blowing air out is probably the best way. Given that you have a fan at the front of the case, then having the front fan blowing inwards would be best. I also recommend you place a fan grill over the top fan. See the link below for an example of one :

fanguard.jpg

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I was testing out a hard drive with my vectra and i ran across a problem. This is not a big problem but when i installed the 160 gig drive in the vectra it only showed 127 gigs on the drive. As the machine is a Win 98SE FAT 32 puter it may because of the limitation to 127 gigs with FAT 32. But it also only showed 127 gigs in the bios. When i get a chance i will install the drive in my Intel 3.0 puter and reformat the drive as NTFS. I will then stick it in my vectra that hasXP on it and see if it still sees it as 127 gigs. Will let you know. If it is a BIOS problem with large drives i may have to use a drive overlay program to get around it.

SRX660

Advertisements

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
wow i hope you can let me know. so i will know if my brand new 80gb hard drive will work. if not i will take it back.

Please help me with the new drive though I still dont understand how to do it. Here I'll tell you why SRX600 & SAMM

HELLLLPPPP!!!
I want to know if you would please tell me how to do the partitions. Step by step. Using a simple "step 1,2,3,4,5,6,7" etc method.

I currently have a brand new "Western Digital 80GB Ide Hard Drive". You can see it here: http://www.canadacom...0143&cid=HD.443

The only o/s I have is a windows98se disc, and a winxphome upgrade disc that is supposed to be used after installing win98se.

All I know is when I used my old 10Gb hard drive in my hp vectra this was my method:

1. Put a win98se boot startup floppy disc and turn on the pc.

2. I would choose "Fdisk" in the floppy options, enable large disc support, partition the drive, and than enable it to make it active.

3. Than I would restart and choose "Format C:/s" in the boot floppy disc options.

4. After that I would name the drive, and restart the pc, insert the win98se disc, and run the disc through the floppy options and install the win98se o/s.

5. As soon as that was done I'd insert the "winxphome upgrade from win98se disc", and install winxp.

6. Than my system would work. Altough my c: drive would still be fat32.. I dunno why???

And that's it. I only know the basics. I do not know how to make two partitions on one drive. I dunno how to choose and select a size for each partition. Or how to make them ntsf. I was told that it is recommended that I use 20GB for the "C" drive. And that is what I want to do. Than I want to use 60GB just for my data.

Can you tell me how I can go about doing this step by step? I dunno how to do this choosing partition sizes, or even how to partition two on one drive. especially as ntsf not fat32. Please let me know step by step. Thank you for all your help in transforming my vectra into a monster.

Oh and I still want to use my old 10Gb drive in my pc as well for a total of 90Gb of full hard drive space when you add it up with the new 80GB western digital one I have. I just want the 10Gb drive as an added storage for anything. Please help!!! I have burnt everything off my pc in order to be ready to do this.

Edited by superstar, 26 March 2006 - 10:24 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I already have a 120 Gig HD in one of the vectra's. It see's it just fine. The problem is when you go over 127 Gig drives.

OK, heres microsoft method if installing XP.

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=316941

And again this is a very good website for a clean install of XP with a upgrade CD.

http://www.winsupers...xp_sg_clean.asp

Basically you will put the XP cdrom in your cdrom drive(dvd, or whatever drive you have). Windows will start to load and then ask you for prof of a previous windows operating system. Now you will open the cdrom drive, take out the XP cd, put in the Win 98SE cd, and let XP see the 98 cd. You will then get a message to put the XP cd back in the drive and windows XP will install.

The elder geek also has the upgrade install process on his website. It has the pictures you will see when installing.

http://www.theelderg...l_-_graphic.htm

Heres the window you will be at for partitioning the drive.

http://www.theelderg...0Graphic/GG.gif

The difference is that it will say the drive will be around 74535MB. The reason it is not a true 80000 Megabytes is that hard drive makers and microsoft differ in the way count up megabytes. Disk makers say 1000MB's is a Gigabyte, while Microsoft says 1024 MB's is a Gigabyte. If you take 80000 Mb's and divide by 1024 you get 78.125 gigabytes. There is also space lost for data so windows can identify the drive and the partitions, folders, etc. So you will end up around almost 75 Gigs.

In that window you will specify that you want 20000 Mb's for your partition in the bottom line. You will use your arrow keys and the enter keys ot enter the information and yea you will use the number keys to put in the numbers. Once you have made that partition you can go back and partition the rest of the drive but it is not necessary. You can partition the rest of the drive after you have installed XP to the computer and booted up to the XP desktop. After the partition you will be returned to this screen.

http://www.theelderg...0Graphic/HH.gif

Read the elder geek webpage for the step by step way to do this. I printed out every page and picture from this webpage the first time i installed XP, so i would have it on paper while i was installing.

After you have installed XP to your computer, you can install the 10 gig drive. As Samm has said that drive is probably ATA66 while your 80 gig drive is ATA100. It might be better to install the 10 giger as slave on the cdrom cable so it does not slow down the 80 gig drive.

You can now go into computer management anf format the rest of your partitions and drives as you see fit.

Start/ control panel/ performance and maintence/ adminstrative tools/, double click on computer management. Click on disk management, then right click on the unpartitioned part of your drive and click partition. Here you can partition, change the drivs to NTFS, format the partitions and drives, etc.

Then you will start installing any drivers you need, and the software you want to use on the computer.

SRX660

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Thank you srx600 i will now try to install my 80gig hard drive. hopefully it works. i'll keep you posted. thank you very much for your dedication and for doing all that research.

By the way, I know that the fan on the top of my case should be an exhaust fan as you recommended it to be. And the one on the front of my case should be an intake, and you also mentioned that the one on the side of my case should be an intake as well to blow on video cards, processors, etc. My question is:

Is it okay if I leave the one on the top of my case as an intake as well? I mean i think i have it on the wrong way. But you have to understand that the led brackets are on the inside of my case on that fan. So if I turn it the right way it's going to look stupid. I'm assuming that it was made to be on the back panel of a computer with a side window. Therefore blowing as an exhaust and having the led brackets visible if you turn the computer around and look at the i/o plate. [bleep], is it okay if I leave it the way it is? I mean i think i have it wrong, i think the top one is positioned as an intake. But it would look dum if I turned it around. The led bracket would be pointing at me, staring right out at me. I am certain that the front fan is positioned as an intake. I could switch these as the front fan i have is black, and it too has the brakets but no lights. This is sooo stupid, why would they make led fans like that? why don't they make led fans labeled exhaust and intake? so the brackets with the leds on the are positioned the right way? this is soo dum. Would i be harming my system if i leave it as it is??? Or ruining the fans by leaving them like this>?

I rememeber you saying something about how hot air rises in a pc and that the top should be an outtake. Will I be harming my pc if the top stays as an intake?

One thing i notice is that dust seems to be getting into my pc. Not a lot, but little specs. Maybe its just because its a clear acrylic case that I can see them. Plus I place my head right to the case! lol. Maybe this has to do with the top fan as an intake.

I have no side fan in my pc so the air seems to be gushing out hard from there.

Oh and can I use that duster bottle compressed air stuff in my acrylic case or will it ruin it, or stain it?

The can of air stuff I have is labeled "Blow Off". www.blowoff.com

And can someone tell me if you have the latest bios update for my hp vectra vl400 model? I read all those links you guys sent me. And they say to make sure you have the latest bios update, so when you install xp you can have everything updated, and no worries.

Edited by superstar, 27 March 2006 - 11:15 AM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
SRX660 + Superstar. - if you haven't found this out yet, the 127GB problem is a bios limitation on older systems. For any bios to be able to recognise over 127GB (or 137GB depending on translation), the bios must support 48-bit LBA translation. The same applies to the OS - i.e must be using XP SP1 or higher, or win2000 SP4. This has nothing to do with the file system that the drive is formatted with. This will not affect 80GB drives obviously

Superstar :
Don't know how far you have got with setting up the drive & installing windows, as I know SRX660 has been helping you. I've listed the steps you need to follow anyway, in case you haven't done it yet or are having problems.

1. Disconnect the 10GB drive completely
2. Connect the 80GB as a Master on the primary IDE channel
3. Power on & go into bios. Make sure that the drive is detected correctly & that the boot sequence is set to CDROM first, followed by floppy, then hard drive last.
4. Insert the XP CD, save the changes to the bios & exit the bios
5. The system should now boot from the XP CD.

*NOTE* At some point, the XP install should ask you for a qualifying product. This means you must insert you Win98 CD into the CDROM drive at this stage & follow the instructions on screen.
IF this doesn't happen & you just get a message saying that you cannot install XP due to the CD being an upgrade disc, then let me know.

6. Assuming the above part is OK, you will be asked to partition the drive. XP will tell you, you have 80GB of unpartitioned space. Press the 'C' key to create a partition. Enter 20000 as the size of the new partition.

7. You will then see 20GB partition & 60GB unpartitioned space. Highlight the 20GB partition & press the ENTER key to install XP to this partition.

8. When asked, choose to format the partition as NTFS (You can use FAT322 if you want ot though)

9. Follow the on screen instructions until XP has finished installing.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I am so mad right now.

I did the partition just fine. It worked. It shows up as 19.5GB of total size in "my computer". It shows that only 1.5GB has been used by winxp. I did choose 20000MB during the partition, and I do understand that microsoft and hard drive companies see 1GB differently.

The reason I am mad is because I cannot activate windows xp. I am using my old 10GB hard drive right now. The problem is that I re-installed windows xp 5 times already on this 10GB drive. So I think my installation limits are up. I think you only get a certain number of times that you can install "windows xp upgrade from win98se". I am so mad. I do not know what to do. I called them to activate it and give them my installation i.d. to get the confirmation i.d. But it says that it's not going through. This is gonna be a big problem. As I do have windows 98se. But I do not want to use that, it's too old. I don't want the fat32 system on a new 80giger.

I have "Windows Vista Build 5219", on a dvd disc that a friend gave to me. I have no idea if it will ruin my hardware or damage my new drive. The friend who gave it to me said it works just fine. & that he has it on his pc. I have actually used his pc before and it works great. He's had it for quite some time now with no problems. He did say he gave it to some people and that they experienced system slow downs, or something like that. He said that that was probably because they were on older systems. He uses a p4, or amd. All i know is his pc is relatively new.

What can I do if I can't get the confirmation from microsoft? Should I use the vista? You guys know more than me. & can tell me if it's legit and will run well on my system. All I know is the vista disc is huge. He has it on a 4.7 dvdr. It takes up half of the disc... I wonder how much of my system it would take up. & how fast it would run.

If worst comes to worst what can I do to erase the windows xp that I have placed on my new 80giger???? Do I just put in the xp disc again and delete the partition.

Oh man this sucks. I was gonna stay up all nite to put everything on my new hard drive and now I can't do squat. I won't even know how well it runs... And I only have like 4-5 more days to take the 80Gb hard drive back if it does'nt work. What a bummer...

Plus I dunno if vista uses fat32 or ntsf. I'm stuck. this was all I needed to do for my system.... Put cp on the 80giger, and install 512mb ram. And now I am stopped in my own tracks. This suxx. What am I to do???

The "Windows Vista Build 5219" that he gave me that I have on the dvdr seems kinda neat on his pc. Looks really nice. I am kinda curious about how it runs...

Oh and last question.. if I did put vista on my hard drive or any other o/s, i can always delete whats on the hard drive right? Like does my hard drive last forever>? Meaning if I get a virus, wanna change o/s, partition, etc. Can I always delete everything that is on the Hard Drive and make it so that it runs like it did with nothing on it like when I bought it? Or do hard drives ruin the more you use them or delete them fully with o/s', partitions, etc?

On a side note, I just read up on a microsoft site http://www.microsoft...vation_faq.mspx
about the fact that when you try to activate windows xp makes a "Hash algorithim" of your pc hardware. Could it be because I took out my old cdrom and floppy drive that xp won't activate? because your supposed to be able to install winxp unlimited times. If any of you have the box of xp upgrade from windows 98se read the inside book, front or back page, and it should say something about activation limits. I remember reading that on mine. But i my girl through out the box.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the book!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by superstar, 28 March 2006 - 03:00 AM.