Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP CHANGING MY PC CASE TO A NEW CASE!

• Please log in to reply

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
A fan filter won't restrict air flow providing you don't let it get too clogged up. The filter traps dust & dirt & therefore prevents it from entering the case. As a result, they tend to need cleaning from time to time.

Re. memory. No, not all PC133 SDRAM modules are the same. Most WILL be unbuffered & non-ecc but it's always worth checking. If a module's spec don't mention ECC/Parity or buffered, then it's usually safe to assume that they will be unbuffered & non-ecc. A lot of PCs won't support buffered or ECC ram.

Other differences in ram modules include things such as the CAS latency, chip configuration & whether a module is single or double sided.
CAS latency will be 2, 2.5 or 3. Any PC should support all CAS latencies, however it's preferable to have matching CAS latencies for each ram module. The lower the latency, the fast the module.

Chip configuration is the 4x8 and 16x8 thing you mentioned.
It describes the density of each chip on the modules in Mbits.
EG 32Mx64 = 2048Mbit / 8 = 256MByte

You will often find that motherboards only support certain chip configuration so it's worth checking. All the 256MB modules that Crucial list as being compatible with your Vectra, have a chip configuration of 32Mx64 so I would make sure that the ram you buy also has this configuration.

Single/double sided refers to whether a module has chips on both sides or just one side. Although most systems work with either, single sided is generally more likely to be compatible.

Advertisements

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I came to the conclusion that if I buy my two 256MB PC133 Sdram sticks off of ebay the price would be $15 less than if I bought them at a local store that has them on special now.

I mean on ebay they cost about say $30 plus maybe $10 shipping. Which would come out to about $40.
But at the local pc stores there starting to sell them for $55 dollars. So I might as well buy them there.

The question I have is now after doing some research I have found some at a local store. Can you tell me if this would be quality ram for me to buy? & if it will be powerful enough, because I notice for the specs it says something about them being "Low Density". I don't know if that means that they are low preformance sticks of ram.

http://www.canadacom...066&cid=RAM.653

If you say these are the best I can get, than I'm going to quit searching for them and just buy em.

My last question is...

As you know I have my 10GB drive attached as a slave. I use it for downloads. I want to know if there is anyway I can block the hard drive from anyone using it. Is there a way for me to put a password on it? So like anytime you click to get in the hard drive through "my computer" you need to have the password for it. Is there such a way to do this? I don't want to create a user profile on my XP for other users. I want to keep just one. My administrator and thats all. I don't want to hide the drive like you can hide folders... Unless there is a way to do so without going through much to see it. But if there is a way to password protect it I want to know. I download programs, mp3 files, and other things from the net that may contain virus' when opened. & I don't want that to happen when I let say my brother use my pc. Or my sister. I don't want them to get in that drive. Just that drive. If there is a way to password protect the drive that would be nice. Maybe like a password prompt when you attempt to see what's in it?

Hopefully you may answer my question...

Thx

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I buy ram off Ebay all the time. What i do do is to make sure the ram is exactly what i want. I go as far as asking the seller for the numbers from the ram and going to the ram makers website and looking up the ram.

Almost all computers can run low density ram. Some computers will not boot with high density ram in them. If i had a choice i would go with the low density ram.

The ram at that website does not say the maker so i would assume it is noname brand ram. I would prefer not to take a change on noname ram. noname ram says to me that the quality is not there.

On the securing of the 10 gig HD, you might look at this software for XP that might do the trick. I will setup user accounts in XP and password the admin account so i can restrict users from modifying any files.

http://www.microsoft...ss/default.mspx

SRX660

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, I'm going to completely disagree with SRX660 on this one I'm afraid. HP's can be fairly fussy about ram, as I mentioned before. You are more likely to have compatibility problems with double sided ram modules than you are with single sided modules.

Also, I would stick to modules with the same chip configuration as the ones listed 100% compatible by Crucial. i.e 32Meg x 64 (single sided). I think anything else may cause problems.

Re. the 10GB drive...
As I understand it, you don't want to create additional User accounts etc, right? If so, then anyone else will be accessing the computer under your (admin) logon so any changes you make to the permissions will also affect you too. A simple way of doing this without actually rendering the drive completely inaccessible, would be just to hide it from My Computer & Windows Explorer.
If you want to access the drive yourself, all you have to do is use the Start->Run command.
EG To access the D drive for example, go to start->run & type: D:
This will open an explorer window & give you full access to the contents of the drive.

The easiest way to do this, is to use TweakUI (part of XP Powertoys). You can download it from here :

http://www.microsoft...ppowertoys.mspx

TweakUI will let you hide/unhide any drive or partition you want.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
SRX600 I understand you are saying to go with low density sdram because its more compatible than high density sdram on mobos.

Though I do not understand why you say that I should'nt buy the one at the website mentioned above on my last post. You said that it's no name brand therefore it is not of quality. I do not understand what you mean by it not being of "Quality"????

Is'nt generic no name brand sdram the same thing and made the same way???

The people at the store told me that it is made the same way as brand name sdram and that there should be absolutely no difference in it's preformance. Though they may just be coaxing me to buy it. The store said that there are only a few ram makers in the world and that generic no name brand sdram is made the same way that brand name sdram is.

They have a 7 day money back guarantee. Meaning that if it's not compatible with my system I can bring it back for a refund, with no restocking fee. No other store in my city has that kind of policy. Plus I get a 1 year warranty on the sdram. I'm buying two 256MB PC133 sdram sticks. So what I'm going to do is buy it tommorow.

& if you can give me a good reason to take them back, or not buy them at all tell me. Because I really don't want to take my chances with ebay. I probably won't find two kingston sticks (which is my dream sdram) on ebay for a good price, and they will most likey be used. Plus I'll be dealing with a person not a company. So if it does'nt work in my system if I buy it off ebay I'm screwed. I don't want to go through all the mail time waiting periods of recieving it or sending it back and losing money, having no warranty, being lied to, or just anything messing up. I really don't know what to do. I've been waiting a long time for sdram and I think I should just buy it tommorow.

If you can give me a good reason I will take it back within 7 days. I need to go buy it tommorow or soon, because I don't want them to sell out.

Oh and how will I know if I am having compatibility issues with my sdram when I buy it? Will it just not boot or work? I don't want to startup the dektop and be using sdram that does'nt function properly without me knowing how to tell if it's not doing it's job. Like I don't want to run and use my system having faulty/incompatible sdram in it, working at low memory levels or whatever it does. I don't know how to tell if it's not compatible, or what it will do/happen if it's not compatible. Or how to even test it. I bet I'll be running it on my system and using it as normal even though it does'nt work. lol. I don't know anything about this because I have never bought sdram or any kind of ram before. This is my first building project, and my first pc. Oh and by the way thank you SRX600 & SAMM for all your continuous help on my first pc. As I said I hope to be a computer tech one day.

I'm about to spend over $100 plus tax (Canadian) on buying these two sticks tommorow so if you can coax me out of it tell me now!!!!!!!!!!

By the way I put a flashlight on my see through case and seen that the sdram currently in my system is single sided. But that must just be because it's old. Maybe the one I want to buy will work no?

There two single sided chips currently in my system. I don't know what single sided is. All I know is that the black box things are only on one side on both of the sticks on my mobo. But my pc is a "HP Vectra VL400" is from around the year 2001. So it's most likely old sdram that was put in my system around that time. They are two different brands as well. One is Micron 128MB and the other is Hyundai 64MB. They both add up to 192MB which is what I currently have in my system.

I am willing to take the chance to buy the sdram from the store I am talking about. Once again the url is:

http://www.canadacom...066&cid=RAM.653

Hopefully it works. If there is any problem you guys are aware of coax me out of having it, keeping it, or buying it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it worth the try? Or am I looking at having some bad luck with it working in my "HP Vectra VL400" pc?

THXXX

P.S.

SAMM is the "Tweak UI" thing you told me about uninstallable? I hope it will be easy to use.

-----------------------------
UPDATE:
IT'S THE NEXT DAY ALREADY.... NO ONE REPLIED TO THIS POST YET! LOL. I JUST BOUGHT IT!!! HERE GOES NOTHING!!!!

UPDATE 2:
I JUST INSTALLED IT! SEEMS FINE. IT IS DOUBLE SIDED JUST LIKE THE URL. IT'S THE SAME KIND ALTHOUGH I THINK ITS STILL A BRAND. I STARTED MY PC AND IT BOOTED UP FINE. NO PROBLEMS. I SEE NO PROBS. I RAN SOME PROGRAMS TO TEST IF THEY WORK FASTER. AND THEY DO. I OPENED "EVEREST" TO SEE IF IT DETECTS MY SDRAM AND IT DOES. I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO TELL IF THERE ARE COMPATIBILITY ISSUES. I MEAN IF THERE WAS MY COMPUTER WOULD'NT START NO>? TELL ME IF THERE IS A WAY TO CHECK FOR COMPATIBILITY PROBS. SEEMS TO WORK GREAT. AND SOME OF MY PROGRAMS ARE ENHANCED A LOT!!!! I'M SOOO HAPPY. TELL ME IF I SHOULD TAKE THEM BACK. I ONLY HAVE 7 DAYS TO DO SO!!!

THIS IS THE KIND OF SDRAM I HAVE ACCORDING TO "EVEREST":

DIMM1: Infineon HYS64V32220GU-7

Memory Module Properties:
Module Name Infineon HYS64V32220GU-7
Serial Number 011E3297h
Module Size 256 MB (2 ranks, 4 banks)
Module Type Unbuffered
Memory Type SDRAM
Memory Speed PC133 (133 MHz)
Module Width 64 bit
Module Voltage LVTTL
Error Detection Method None
Refresh Rate Normal (15.625 us), Self-Refresh

Memory Timings:
@ 133 MHz 3.0-2-2-6 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
@ 133 MHz 2.0-2-2-6 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

Memory Module Features:
Early RAS# Precharge Not Supported
Auto-Precharge Supported
Precharge All Supported
Write1/Read Burst Supported
Buffered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
Registered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
On-Card PLL (Clock) Not Supported
Buffered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
Registered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
Differential Clock Input Not Supported
Redundant Row Address Not Supported

Memory Module Manufacturer:
Company Name Infineon Technologies AG
Product Information http://www.infineon....home.do?tabId=1

[ DIMM2: Infineon HYS64V32220GU-7 ]

Memory Module Properties:
Module Name Infineon HYS64V32220GU-7
Serial Number 022C849Ch
Module Size 256 MB (2 ranks, 4 banks)
Module Type Unbuffered
Memory Type SDRAM
Memory Speed PC133 (133 MHz)
Module Width 64 bit
Module Voltage LVTTL
Error Detection Method None
Refresh Rate Normal (15.625 us), Self-Refresh

Memory Timings:
@ 133 MHz 3.0-2-2-6 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
@ 133 MHz 2.0-2-2-6 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

Memory Module Features:
Early RAS# Precharge Not Supported
Auto-Precharge Supported
Precharge All Supported
Write1/Read Burst Supported
Buffered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
Registered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
On-Card PLL (Clock) Not Supported
Buffered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
Registered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
Differential Clock Input Not Supported
Redundant Row Address Not Supported

Memory Module Manufacturer:
Company Name Infineon Technologies AG
Product Information http://www.infineon....home.do?tabId=1

Edited by superstar, 24 April 2006 - 02:58 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Sorry I didn't get back to you in time. Glad to hear it all appears to be working fine.
As you have replaced the old ram entirely, there won't be compatibilty issues with that. The new ram would either work (ie system boots up) or it wouldn't at all, so its obviously fine.

Re. TweakUI - as far as I know, the TweakUI XP version (in the link I gave you before) is uninstallable. In fact, I don't think it even requires you to install it to start with - you just save it to the drive & run it. Do NOT however use version 1.3 which comes on the XP CD I believe. This version is buggy & I think needs to be manually removed.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Thank you guys. My Ram works. Because as Samm explained if it did'nt my system would'nt boot. Well hopefully that's true. I don't know why but i think I notice that the system takes a little longer to boot now. I mean it stays on the "setup - press F1, etc" screen longer than when I had the old ram in. Is it because it's trying to detect the ram everytime I put it in my system? Am I supposed to configure it or something? Or maybe it's just me... But it seems like it takes maybe 5-15 seconds longer to boot than before. I thought ram makes a pc load faster. I do notice a significant change in the way my system works. For example I told you guys before how my desktop would refresh itself slowly sometimes, with the icons being blank and having no pic. That would happen when I'd access certain hard drives etc. Well now it does'nt do that and if it does it's really quick to refresh. It takes like 1-2 seconds to refresh. Before it took like 10-15 seconds. When I open up my big data drive it still freezes when I scroll down and look at all the folders in it. But that is only when I open the drive to view it for the first time. It only freezes for like 1-5 seconds though. Before it used to do it for like 10 seconds and make the desktop refresh itself slowly as mentioned above. Now it does'nt do that, it only freezes the view of the drive for a few seconds. I'm assuming this has to do with the fact that it's a partition of my my 80giger no? And that the hard drive has to scan all the way to the next partition no?

Well in any case I am going to keep the ram for about 5-6 days. & if for any reason I do not like it's preformance I will take it back by the 7th day return policy. I'm going to give it a test run so to speak.

My next step in building this pc is buying a video card and a sound card. Since I am a professional "sound engineer" that works in music recording studios. As for the video card... That would just be for fun, and to play video games.

Does having a video card or a sound card make my computer faster in any way? Because I assume that it's taking the processes off the intergrated sound/video on my mobo. So would having that make my pc faster?????

I am looking to buy this video card off of a friend who wants to sell it to me for $50.00... He says it's worth about $100 and better than most cheap cards on the market. It is this vid card:

"Geforce 4 TI 4800 SE"

Let me know what you guys know about vid cards and if they help pc preformance, and help other processes to run faster. Meaning if they will make my cpu usage and ram fast or whatnot because it's takin stress of my mobo integrated video.

Let me know and I will buy it.

THIS CASE AND PC IS BECOMMING A TRANSFORMER. WHAT A MONSTER! even though some old stuff is in here it's so very much revamped. I have to call it a new pc now, because everything is new in it except the mobo, and processor. The ram is new, case, psu, heatsink and fan, fangrills, dvdr+/- drive, led lights, etc.

ALL THX TO SAMM AND SRX600

THE PC MASTERS!!!!

Oh yah SAMM this is a quote from you:

Do NOT however use version 1.3 which comes on the XP CD I believe. This version is buggy & I think needs to be manually removed.

Are you sayin i should find that old version of tweak UI thing in my pc and uninstall it before i use the new one i downloaded. or are you just saying to never use the old one at all? I dont even know where the old one is on my system so I doubt I would ever find/use it.

Edited by superstar, 25 April 2006 - 02:37 AM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I suspect the reason your system now takes longer to get past the initial 'press F1 screen', is because each time you power the system on, the bios performs a basic memory check. The more ram you have, the longer this will take. You may also have quick boot disabled, which will slow it down.

Go into the bios & look for a setting called 'Quick boot' or 'fast boot' or similar & enable it (if it's disabled).

Re. the video/sound card...

A decent video card is only really going to help signicantly if you run graphics/video applications or games. It won't really improve the performance when running audio software. If you are currently using the integrated video card (Intel 815 I believe in Vectra VL400's), then you may benefit from adding an AGP video card. This will free up the ram thats currently being used as video memory for the integrated card.

Be aware that your system is only capable of running AGP 4x (max), so you wont get the full benefit of modern 8x cards. The agp card must also be 1.5V compatible (which most cards are).

Sound card - obviously this is more relevant to you as you will be using audio applications, right? What sound card do you currently have?

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

I suspect the reason your system now takes longer to get past the initial 'press F1 screen', is because each time you power the system on, the bios performs a basic memory check. The more ram you have, the longer this will take. You may also have quick boot disabled, which will slow it down. Go into the bios & look for a setting called 'Quick boot' or 'fast boot' or similar & enable it (if it's disabled).

If I enable this setting in the bios will it affect my pc in any way? Will it alter it's preformance? I mean why would they have a setting to enable it or not? Would'nt it be much easier if it was just "quick booted" to begin with? Because if it is supposedly a faster start with no change to the system in preformance, than why would they have it disabled by factory default? What does a quick boot do that a normal slow boot does'nt, and vice versa? I'm assuming a normal boot checks the ram, and a quick boot does'nt????

Sound card - obviously this is more relevant to you as you will be using audio applications, right? What sound card do you currently have?

I do not have a sound card in my system. It's using the integrated sound. I wonder if I can buy any single one. Will my pc be faster if I add a sound card as well? Because you had mentioned if I add a video card that frees up ram. I'm assuming adding a sound card would do the same?

If you are currently using the integrated video card (Intel 815 I believe in Vectra VL400's), then you may benefit from adding an AGP video card. This will free up the ram thats currently being used as video memory for the integrated card.

So adding a vid card will make my pc faster indeed. That's good news...

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

If I enable this setting in the bios will it affect my pc in any way? Will it alter it's preformance? I mean why would they have a setting to enable it or not? Would'nt it be much easier if it was just "quick booted" to begin with? Because if it is supposedly a faster start with no change to the system in preformance, than why would they have it disabled by factory default? What does a quick boot do that a normal slow boot does'nt, and vice versa? I'm assuming a normal boot checks the ram, and a quick boot does'nt????

I don't know if HP have fast boot enabled by default or not. Most motherboards have it enabled by default but the doesn't mean that it couldn't have been changed at some point. I may be wrong about it being disabled. If it IS already enabled, then there's nothing you can do about it. The system will still take longer than before to boot in the initial stages because it has extra ram to test. When a system performs a full (non-fast boot) memory check, all it does in effect is check the ram more than once. The actual check itself is very basic so there's no reason to have fast boot disabled.

I do not have a sound card in my system. It's using the integrated sound. I wonder if I can buy any single one. Will my pc be faster if I add a sound card as well? Because you had mentioned if I add a video card that frees up ram. I'm assuming adding a sound card would do the same?
So adding a vid card will make my pc faster indeed. That's good news...

Adding a sound card will not free up any system ram because the integrated sound doesn't use any anyway.
A better sound card will improve system performance when running your audio applications but you won't notice any improvement in performance with anything else.

Be aware that if you do add a sound card into the system, you must disable the integrated sound in the bios first.

Advertisements

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I will let you know when I get my sound card, and vid card.

Can't wait for that!!

Hey is it possible to clean an acrylic case with windex?? (On the outside of course)

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Win XP can be automatically registered about 4 times before it says that the automatic registrations quota has been used up. All you need to do is call the toll-free number and explain that you are installing new hardware. They will want the registration code that goe with the disc. Have the registration screen up when you make the call so that you can see it work when they reset the registration limit on their end.

BTW, on an XP Upgrade installation Win 98 does NOT have to be first installed on your hard drive before you are able to install XP. The XP installation program only wants to examine the 98 disc in order to continue the installation. You should format the hard drive in NTFS rather than FAT which is all that is available for '98.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

BTW, on an XP Upgrade installation Win 98 does NOT have to be first installed on your hard drive before you are able to install XP. The XP installation program only wants to examine the 98 disc in order to continue the installation. You should format the hard drive in NTFS rather than FAT which is all that is available for '98.

Cheers WinCrazy. I have actually said all of that about 65 posts ago! It's always worth pointing that out though because not many people realise you can perform a totally fresh install to a blank drive using an upgrade CD.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
What is a cathode light and how does it work? Are they safe for your pc?

I am thinking about buying one. They look nice. I would'nt mind brightening up my pc.

When I seen one at the store it said on the box that it had sound... What would a light come with a sound box for?

Which one should I be looking at buying?

They look like the lights in office buildings but smaller...

I want a blue one. What should I be looking for? Any specs, or anything I should know?

Do they cause probs to harfware or fire hazards?

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
I think you are refering to a "cold cathode flourescent" light. These miniature tubes come in various colors and are strictly for decoration purposes for those who have a case with a plastic window on the side. They light up the innards of the case with a red, blue or other color glow. Case modders think the light makes their cases look more attractive. "It can't just be good, it has to look good, too." The lights are harmless and use very little power. They are often used in conjunction with case fans that light themselves up with colored LEDs.