Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC not booting up

• Please log in to reply

dlmgg

dlmgg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I hope these are clear enough. Let me know what you think. I can get more if these aren't good enough. It is hard to see what is going on with all of those wires.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by dlmgg, 20 March 2006 - 02:15 PM.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I've requested assistance and Jack123 is currently helping me analyze your problem...

He needs to know the brand & model # of the new PSU you bought. You can find that on the sticker.

Also, see if you can find the brand & model # of your motherboard. This will help him to see what kind of connections your motherboard has and requires from the PSU. That info will most likely be somewhere on the green area of your motherboard.

If you can't find it, try to push the wires to the side and take a wide-angle picture of your motherboard.

dlmgg

dlmgg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I purchased a POWMAX LP-6100D PSU. It is a Microstar MS-6714 motherboard. Let me know if you need anymore info. :tazz:

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01 dlmgg computerwiz 12890 ATX PS Help PC Reboots
20th March -2006

Hi – Welcome to – [Geeks to Go] –

Your photos show the problem – Your Processor Fan is pretty well clogged with dust – Processor is Overheating -

*****Turn PC – [OFF] & Disconnect – [Power Cord] – from PC before cleaning - *****

Carefully Remove Fan from Heat sink assembly & Clean the Heat sink – Make sure you observe the Fan Orientation to Heat Sink – when removing –so that you replace it on the Heat Sink exactly the same after cleaning – The Fan Rotation – is dependent on the Mounting – The air must be forced down – into the heat sink assembly – and forced out thru the sides of the heat sink – Use a very thin pin/needle like object to – peal the large chunks of dust out first – then use a – Can of – [Cleaning Duster Air] – to clean the Heat Sink- READ – Instructions on Can – Keep the Can – UPRIGHT – at all times – Do not tilt – shake – invert – Can must be – UPRIGHT – If can is tilted – The Compressed Air – will transform into a LIQUID – which will be a greater Hazard – than the Dust – After cleaning – Remount the FAN – Tighten the 4 screws- without stripping threads – Reconnect Fan connector

Double check all connections - & Fan Assembly for correct mounting – It is very easy to – accidentally bump a connector or wire off the motherboard or other assembly -

Your computer should boot up – OK – Now after cleaning -

dmigg_Fan_6.jpg

dmigg_Fan_7.jpg

EDITED - You should also check & clean the - [AIR FILTERS] - & clean the chassis Fan

Good Luck
Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 23 March 2006 - 07:49 PM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
02 dlmgg computerwiz 12890 ATX PS Help PC Reboots
21st March -2006

I just added some notes to the previous Post – I want to notify you of them –

*****Turn PC – [OFF] & Disconnect – [Power Cord] – from PC before cleaning - *****

*******Clean Air Filter/s & Clean Chassis Fan *****

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 23 March 2006 - 08:49 AM.

dlmgg

dlmgg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Ok, I cleaned the fan when I took it off the heat sink. I cleaned the heat sink and there are no air filters that I can see. I still have the same thing happening. I plug the computer in, the fan in the PSU starts up and the fan over the heat sink starts up. The on button turns green so I press it and nothing happens. After a few moments, the fans turn off and everything is dead. This happens wheather I try to turn on the computer or not. What next? :tazz:

Dawn

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
03-dlmgg computerwiz 12890 ATX PS Help PC Reboots
21st March -2006

Sorry -

I know the problem still exists – I shot from the hip – when I saw all that dust in the photo – I got excited and shot off a quick post - Usually that would have caused the PC to – [Freeze] – not the – [Restart] – I really know better – but that Heat sink was pretty well clogged – I don’t think it was – [Packed Down] – but the fins were pretty well blocked – plus the fan blades were covered – It had to be cleaned – It just prevented a future problem -

I do not understand the way that PC is starting – [Standby Power] – appears to be starting the Fans and PC – before pressing the –[Start Button] –

Appears that – [Power On/Good] – Circuit/Signal is shorted to – [+5 volt] – on the Motherboard that is permitting the PC to startup – prior to the Power Supply Warm up Time –

But I suspect that the Old Power Supply Wiring/Motherboard Interface is not compatible to the new Power Supply Standard Wiring – This – [Abstract Troubleshooting] – gets harder – at this point – A couple of good Voltmeter checks would probably locate problem –

I do not have the – [Luxury] – of having any old PCs laying around to do any Research on – Although I do have an old Motherboard around that I could trace the Circuitry - I’ll do some research –

I was going to open the front to check the button itself but I can't find any charts on how to get in there

Here is a link for - Front Panel - http://downloads.ema...werButton_a.pdf

******Just make sure – [POWER] is Disconnected******

Maybe some more photos of Motherboard & Switch may help - I’ll review your Posts again – Maybe I will see some clue that I overlooked -

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 23 March 2006 - 08:55 AM.

dlmgg

dlmgg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks for the link. When I opened the front it was just the black button behind the switch, not anything that would really show if there was a problem with the connection. Where did you find that info? I tried to back step a few in the link you gave but it wouldn't let me. The button does turn green so I'm guessing the connection is ok. Here are some pictures of the motherboard itself. I don't have a Voltmeter and I'm not sure how to use one. I'm guessing with some instruction it probably wouldn't be too difficult to do.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
04-dlmgg computerwiz – [12890 ATX PS Help PC Reboots]
22nd March -2006

I don't have a Voltmeter and I'm not sure how to use one. I'm guessing with some instruction it probably wouldn't be too difficult to do.

No – I was kind of talking to myself [??] –

I do see something that is bothering me – in the 2nd Photo – which is showing the – [Heat sink Assembly] –
The small 4-pin Connector that is to the left of the Fan Assembly – there are 2 yellow wires & 2 black wires –

They appear to be caught under the lower end of the – [Fan/Heat sink Assembly] [??] – Can you verify if they are damaged & shorting to this Assembly – or are pinched under this assembly or is snagged on the corner of the assembly – This is the 12 Volt Input to Processor – The yellow wire looks like it is pinched -

Another item is in 1st photo – The [20-pin Power Connector] is shown – The top pins – Are the [pins 1 thru 10] and are read – [Left to right] – [pin 01 is far top left & has orange wire] and – [pin 10 is top right and has yellow wire] - - - Pin 8 has a grey wire - - - -what does pin [9] - - - -have - - - I cannot see - - -It should be a Purple Wire - - These are the Standby Power & Power OK Signals -

Also verify that the connector is – [Seated and/or connected properly] – not sure if it is keyed – I would think that it is keyed – [??] – It looks correct – Make sure that – the pins are not twisted or shorted – sometimes when you install – this type of connector – the pins shift - & - twist – so they have 2 pins in one hole –

here are more links – I will search for that front panel info -

Emachines Link
http://www.emachines...ies&model=T2895

Parts & Upgrades
http://www.emachines...t/upgrades.html

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 23 March 2006 - 08:55 AM.

dlmgg

dlmgg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks for sticking with me. :tazz:

1. I checked those wires, they look crimped but they really aren't, I had to sort of tuck them under the corner there because they were getting hit by the fan when it turned on. They appear to be fine.
2. That wire is indeed purple, it is hard to see even when sitting in front of it. Had to use a flashlight.
3. I removed the connection and it is seated properly. Nothing appears to be twisted or shorted.

Those were the same sites that I was looking on. I just emailed their tech support team to see if they could send me something.

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
05-dlmgg computerwiz – [12890 ATX PS Help PC Reboots]
22nd March –2006

Thanks for sticking with me

Well – we cannot let your – [Grandmother] – down

I checked those wires, they look crimped but they really aren't, I had to sort of tuck them under the corner there because they were getting hit by the fan when it turned on. They appear to be fine.

I looked at original picture – there seems to be a yellow wire that is running under the – [Bottom] – that is caught on the – [Heat sink] – below the Fan – This may have been there a long time – and has finally – has gone from – [Intermittent] to [Permanent] –

Please double check – It just doesn’t look healthy – [??]

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 23 March 2006 - 08:56 AM.

dlmgg

dlmgg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I checked, here is a picture for you:

Posted Image

I also got a picture of the back of the button. Looks like everything is ok there too.

Posted Image

P.S. The woman went 77 years or so without a computer but we have spoiled her to the point that in the last 6 years she is addicted to it and getting antsy without her Slingo!

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
06-dlmgg computerwiz – [12890 ATX PS Help PC Reboots]
23rd March -2006

I checked, here is a picture for you:

Just trying to find something beside the – [Motherboard] – Thanks for the photo –

Lets disconnect some items – Disconnect the – [4-pin Power Connector] – from

1- Hard Drive
2- Floppy Drive
3- CD & DVD Drives
4- You should have a – [Rear Exhaust Fan] – other than the Power Supply – Disconnect the Power Connector from the Fan – if it exists –

Now turn the PC – [ON] & see if the Power Supply remains On – Pc will not boot because Hard Drive is disconnected – but if one of the drives or fan are bad then Power Supply should remain On –

If Power Supply – still shuts down – Then Remove the Bottom – [PCI Expansion Card] - & check if Power Supply remains ON with that removed –

Jack123

dlmgg

dlmgg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I did steps 1-4 with the same outcome. When you say remove the bottom, do you mean umplug something else? I'm in new territory here, not quite sure what you want me to unplug.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
07-dlmgg computerwiz – [12890 ATX PS Help PC Reboots]
23rd March -2006

I did steps 1-4 with the same outcome. When you say remove the bottom, do you mean umplug something else? I'm in new territory here, not quite sure what you want me to unplug.

I am referring to the – [Circuit Card] – in – [3rd Photo of POST 23] – See attachment of Photo for Removal Details – I have enhanced the photo – by extending the – [Hold-down/Retaining Screw] – that needs to be removed - & pointing to the area – Outside of PC – where there should be a Connector or Plugs to remove – This is either – [Video Card] – [Modem] – or – [Sound Card] – I want it to be disconnected/removed from the – [Motherboard] by – Pulling it straight back towards you – But you must [1st] remove the screw & Connectors so it will be free – in order to be removed – Then Turn PC on - & see if Power Supply remains ON – with this Card removed from the Slot on Motherboard -

See Attachment

dlmgg_PCI_CARD_2.jpg

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 23 March 2006 - 11:40 AM.