Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC not booting up

• Please log in to reply

dlmgg

dlmgg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I took it out and I still have the same problem. One thing I may have not mentioned earlier (may not matter but I want to make sure we have all the details here), when I plug it in and the fan comes on and turns off I have to unplug and replug in order for the fan to turn on again.

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
07-dlmgg computerwiz – [12890 ATX PS Help PC Reboots]
23rd March -2006

One thing I may have not mentioned earlier (may not matter but I want to make sure we have all the details here), when I plug it in and the fan comes on and turns off I have to unplug and replug in order for the fan to turn on again.

Yes – you mentioned that before – I think that - this is an – Anomaly – associated with this – Brand/make of PC – The Original Power Supply did not have a – [Main Power ON/OFF Switch] – The Motherboard has a – [Circuit that uses Standby Power to control PC Turn ON – Then it needs a – [Hard Reset] – By Unplugging AC Cord – to reset this circuit – [??] – after a – [Failure Induced Shutdown] – [??]

Maybe you should ask – [Grandmother] – or look at PC Manual – What is proper way to – Turn this PC – [ON] & [OFF] – and – Failure recovery info – Never know – [Grandmothers know a lot more than you think] –

I need to do some research on this – maybe – [Computerwiz] – can answer these questions – on this – before we – Declare the – [Motherboard] – Dead – [??] – He mentioned that he has this brand of PC that had same problem –

I had to replace my own Emachine's power supply, it was only 3 years old! And someone else I know had to do the same thing. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the same problem with your grandmother's computer.

Jack123 -

dlmgg

dlmgg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I'll have to get the manual the next time I'm at her house. Maybe I can find a copy of it online somewhere.

MDDavidson

MDDavidson

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am having the same prob. w/ an Emachines T2542 only thing so far that has been different is my HDD light flashes constantly untill on one of the last steps where unpluged it. Mine the green light didnt come on.

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
If your getting a new power supply but you want one cheap i would go for an ebuyer extra value I have one and its perfect for the job i got a 500W for 20 quid!!!

dlmgg

dlmgg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I'm still having the same problem here also. I have tried everything with no luck. I'm wondering if at this point I should put in a new Motherboard

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Replacing the motherboard may work, but I have a bad feeling about it. In my case, I changed my power supply immediately when I realized it was going out. It was 3 days from the day it gave the first symptom to the day it went completely out.

There was another person I knew whose e-machine computer's power supply went out too, but they did not replace it immediately. When I looked at it, the power supply started crackling when the computer was turned on. Replacing the power supply did not fix it. I believe that because they waited too long, the power supply actually became dangerous and fried some of the internal parts.

I suspect it is the same with your computer. Replacing the motherboard may fix it, but who knows how much got fried...

Let me know what you want to do.

dlmgg

dlmgg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Would there be any obvious damage if this were the case? You are correct about not fixing it right away. She has had the problem for some time but I didn't worry to much about it thinking that she probably was doing something wrong (wouldn't be the first time :whistling: ) .

MDDavidson

MDDavidson

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have been given the sugestion that it is the CPU not the MOBO

MDDavidson

MDDavidson

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have tested my power supply and purchased a new one and had the same results as with the old Power Supply

Advertisements

pilotryan

pilotryan

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am having a very similar problem. I am working on a Emachine T2895 and I have tried a new and old power supply and get the same results. Once I plug in the power cable to the power supply the supply continues to run alonfg with the cpu fan and I have a solid amber light on the front panel of the box. The power button lights up green but it will not shut down or do nothing when pushed..

Any ideas????

Thanks

GordonC

GordonC

• Pip
  • 1 posts
In regards to :
>>>I am having a very similar problem. I am working on a Emachine T2895 and I have tried a new and old power supply >>>and get the same results. Once I plug in the power cable to the power supply the supply continues to run alonfg with >>>the cpu fan and I have a solid amber light on the front panel of the box. The power button lights up green but it will not >>>shut down or do nothing when pushed..

>>>Any ideas???? Thanks

- I am also seeing the exact same symptoms (and Yes, it is an Emachines T2895) I have replaced the power supply, but nothing changed. The only way to 'power up' is with the O I switch on the Power supply. This still does not get the machine to boot up. Any help (other than the radiator cap solution - drive a new car under the old radiator cap to fix a problem car) would greatly be approciated.

Thank you.