Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Crashes

• Please log in to reply

WorksopStag

WorksopStag

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi. Recenlty my PC has been crashing. When it does I get feint vertical lines down the screen, everything freezes and I'm unable to shutdown or do anything. I then have to turn off at the power.

When i try to reboot, the computer instead of beeping once, continously beeps and wont boot, so i then have to switch off at the power and leave for 15-30 minutes before it will boot.

I've tried some suggested methods to fix it, but the problem still occurs.

First i thought it could be my hard-drive because I've had trouble with it before so I reformatted it and did a clean install of windows, but that didn't work.

Then someone said it could be overheating and to check my fans. The fan at the back of the case wasn't connected, so i connected it and things were running smoothly for a couple of days, but now it has started crashing again.

So my only other thought is that its my video card, which is integrated with the motherboard. Could this be where the vertical lines are coming from???

Any help you could offer would be great. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

WorksopStag

WorksopStag

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
On the most recent crash, I got a black screen with something similar to this on;

SiS system video card
Available memory 256mb

I reached for a pen but it was gone before it could copy it down

Any ideas???

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello WorksopStag!

Your integrated graphics card will be using a portion of your main system RAM so it could be the RAM that's the problem.

Run a test with Memtest86+ > http://www.memtest.org/