Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connection Problems

• Please log in to reply

Jmody

Jmody

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
:tazz:

For some reason my laptop isnt getting online. Well it is, but i cant view webpages.

I use Firefox as a browser, when i look up wireless connections i see my landlords wireless signal. (she uses a verizon dsl westell versa link 327w) My computer connects to it but when i try a view webpages i dont get anything. just an error msg saying unable to locate server.

Now here is the screwed up thing. Somtimes at night it does work.

Ive done everything i can think of. I have uninstalled my wireless device. restarted my computer and the router. I have very limited access to the wireless router as its in my landlords apartment upstairs and i dont want to impose.

Her DSL is comming over her regular phone line. is there a way i could splice of her phone line and hook up my linksys wireless router in my apartment. Is that possible? to have 2 wireless routers running off the same internet connection. also if it is how would i connect the linksys router to the telephone jack. the telephonejack is a regular phone line cable and the linksys is an ethernet cable.

anyhelp would be great.

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Has your landlord given you permission to use her wireless connection?

Jmody

Jmody

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I wouldnt be trying to use her wireless otherwise. thats theft.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
How far would your router and hers be apart? If they are within 20M or so, I suggest getting a long cable, this cable would go from one of her ethernet ports on her wireless, to your "internet" port on your wireless. I don't think any set up would be needed.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's possible that she is using a static ip type setup on her end instead of DHCP in which case your computer isn't getting an ip address from her wireless router....IF you are indeed being permitted to user her wireless connection...then you should ask her if you can test the connection from inside her apartment and see if it's a distance issue... ALSO some ISP's do not allow for multiple ip connectioins on a single service...in which case you can't have more than one computer on the network at a time unless you pay extra...

Jmody

Jmody

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
i know its not a case of being to far apart. i am getting 4 bars of connectivity. however when i connect to the wireless router, my computer says connected but i am unable to view webpages in my firefox browser.

since this i have done the 2 wireless routers thing and i can view both routers and can connect to both of them. however i still have the same problem with not being able to view the web pages.

What the [bleep] could be causing this kind of issue.

and rest assured that i do have permission. im a police officer in the army and am attempting to be one in the civilian world. i know it dont mean much to people i dont know but its my word which is everything to me.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Jmody,

and rest assured that i do have permission

:blink: We weren't trying to cause offense there, champ; Site Policy simply dictates that we have to ask that question, when/if we suspect that there might be a possibility of infringement. And the way you phrased some of your questions was a little shady :whistling:

Now here is the screwed up thing. Somtimes at night it does work.

Quick question; would this "time at night" co-incide with a time when your landlord might have her computer turned off / disconnected from the Internet? ie: if she's asleep, she might have turned her computer off? The first thing I'd check would be to see if when her computer is turned off, can your laptop connect to the Internet?

Please do the following twice -- once, when you can't connect to the Internet / any web-sites, and a second time when you do have a connection to the Internet -- please goto Start --> Run --> type CMD and press OK --> then type: IPCONFIG /ALL - please post the results here by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum. Alternately, you can save your information to a text file by using the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL > C:\ipconfig.txt -- navigate to that text file, and copy/paste the information from it.

When you don't have an active connection to Web-sites, what happens when you go to Start --> Run --> type CMD --> press OK. Now type:
  • ipconfig /release -- wait for the connection to release; then
  • ipconfig /renew -- wait for the connection to re-establish, or alternately for an error message to display -- if it is an error message, please post the message.
Also, are you sure that the ISP which your landlord is with permits multiple, concurrent Internect connections? I know that a number of ISP's in my area require you to purchase multiple connections.

- Dan

Jmody

Jmody

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
THANKS DANG, Ill do that when i get home tonight. Im at work on a work computer now so bear with me. Also she uses Verizon so im pretty sure that they allow more than one connection.

Jmody

Jmody

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Here is the requested information. This is when i am connected to a neighbors wireless. Which im only doing for the purpose of entering the following information.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : YOUR-28D086EB11
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : myhome.westell.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Cont
roller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-03-25-12-7C-D0

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 5:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : myhome.westell.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-90-4B-C2-50-25
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.44
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, March 24, 2006 11:41:23 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, March 25, 2006 11:41:23 AM

Here is the information again when im conected to my linksys wireless. it said i was connected but i was unable to view any web pages.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig /ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : YOUR-28D086EB11
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : myhome.westell.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Cont
roller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-03-25-12-7C-D0

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 5:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : myhome.westell.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-90-4B-C2-50-25
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, March 24, 2006 12:34:22 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, March 25, 2006 12:34:22 PM

Edited by Jmody, 24 March 2006 - 11:50 AM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Alright, thanks for that -- also, I realise that in your current environment, you can't just walk in and shut down your landlords computer to test, however I would appreciate it if you do get an answer for me, when you can.

When connected to your neighbours network, I'm assuming that you can browse the Internet and everything fine? If so, hopefully they won't mind if you use their network as a comparison. I'm going to be asking you to jump between the two networks for alot of these tests.

Despite the fact that you can connect to your neighbours network, I'm going to get you to reset your winsock stack anyway; it won't hurt and it might help. Please download and run WinsockFix. Once run, reboot and test your connection; any change?

Whilst connect to your landlords network, please do the following:
Goto Start, Run, type CMD, press 'OK' and then perform a Trace route by typing: tracert google.com -- Once the trace has completed, please post the results here by right-clicking on the window, selecting 'Select All', and then pressing Ctrl+C; post the results here.

Goto Start, Run, type CMD and press 'OK' - now type: PATHPING Google.com - please copy and paste the results by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', and then pressing Ctrl+C. Please post the results here.

Please goto Start, Run, type CMD and press 'OK' - now type: netstat -rn and press enter; please post the results here.

Check DNS Settings
1) PING Yahoo.com

2) PING 216.109.112.135

3) Flush your DNS Cache by going to Start, Run, type CMD, and then type: IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS -- press enter -- now type: IPCONFIG /REGISTERDNS

4) Start, Run, CMD - Type: nslookup yahoo.com
You should recieve a similar result to this:
Server: gizmo54ps.bigpond.com <-- Your information should be different
Address: 144.140.71.29 <-- Your information should be different

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: yahoo.com
Addresses: 216.109.112.135, 66.94.234.13
5) If you don't (if you're not sure, then you can copy that information into your next reply), then do the following:
(Start, Run, type CMD) Type: nslookup and press enter
Type: server 144.140.71.29 and press enter
Type: nslookup yahoo.com
Now you should recieve a window exactly identical to mine..

It would help if you repeated all of those steps with your active connection to your neighbours network; however it is not essential at this point. So, you can skip this part if you don't have time / don't want to.

- Dan