Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Get Into BIOS!

• Please log in to reply

garpt

garpt

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi all,
Been lurking and learning for a few months...This HAS to be the most knowledgable help forum ANYWHERE!! Now I could use some help with my new machine.

Up till now, I've been having fun tweakin' and tunin', have the system nice and stable.
except..
i can't get into the bios anymore. I've tried the tricks that I KNOW of, like power down/ disconnect mains, unplug various components and hardware, hold delete key, tapping key, etc. It ENTERS the first screen, loads stuff, reads drives, 1-2-3-4, THEN, when it should pop into the blue BIOS screen, it jumps to the XP splash screen, and continues on to my desktop like normal.
it's quite frustrating. I can't tweak, and we all know how THAT s**ks!
Any ideas from you very learned folks would be appreciated. THANKS Guys (&GALS!)
GARY

ASUS A8N-SLI motherboard, NVidia (2) 7800GTX SLI, 2GB Corsair 3500LLPro, WD 400GB and Maxtor 300GB, dual DVD R/W (Lite-On & NEC), Logitech laser mouse/keyboard, Dell 24" LCD, Audigy FX Pro, XP Pro Media edition, AMD 4400x2, CPU water cooling (kingswin) Thermaltake 680Watt power supply, Logitech z5500 5.1 sound system, a bunch of fans and blue cathode lights.
:tazz:

Edited by garpt, 15 March 2006 - 10:09 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just as a question...#1 were you ever able to get into the bios? if so...did you use the del button or an f key? did you enable quiet boot when tweaking the the bios? is the keyboard you're using usb or ps2? try with a ps2 keyboard if you can

garpt

garpt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi, dsenette.
I remember something about that keyboard switcheroo! Thanks for jarring my memory! I will indeed try that after work. I updated my sig., so you can see I do, indeed, have a USB/Bluetooth keyboard.
Worth a try. THANKS!
GARY

P.S.: I don't remember about the Quiet Boot. I assume that should be disabled? The screen says use the DEL key. I've also tried the other usual suspect keys.

Edited by garpt, 15 March 2006 - 10:27 AM.

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
If nothing else works yo u might need to pull the battery out of your motherboard. It will reset all of Bios. This may not be wut you want, but if you really need to enter Bio's this can be a helpfull tip.

Especially if you forget your Bios password

garpt

garpt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi Mr Chow,
I figured that as a last resort, 'cause I spent hours and hours over many days, as I'm sure you know, getting timings, voltages, stuff I don't know, etc. just right. And I didn't write them down. surely won't remember them. and, plus, the system is stable as a rock. I hope I can get it done some other way. Still taking suggestions?
Thanks, Gary

Edited by garpt, 15 March 2006 - 11:11 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
status on using a ps/2 keyboard? tried it yet?

garpt

garpt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
dsenette,
That did it. THANK YOU very much!! NOW, if I an just get my athlon 4400+ cpu cranked past 2.5g, I'll be happy(er). Actually, not too bad.