Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

S-video to RCA-cable

• Please log in to reply

Duvan

Duvan

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm planning to connect my geforce 6600gt TV-out to my TV.
My TV has not got a S-video port but has the normal three video/audio ones. I.e. two audio and one video. RCA I think they are called. :tazz:

Now, will I be able to use this one even if I have not got S-video jack on my TV:
http://www.clasohlso...7-01_170156.jpg

I know I could do with a S-video to three RCA, one for video and two for audio. But this is all I can find in this town. So, are the two other RCA cables for video too, or do they only work as audio cables? Can I plug one into audio port and one into video port and not use the s-video end at all?

Edited by Duvan, 15 March 2006 - 10:10 AM.

Advertisements

Ryan.

Ryan.

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey welcome to geeks to go, I think that would be a no because it looks like both ends are s-video

What I did I went to radio shack I just bought a s video to video adapter. It's 6 feet long and very good quailty (radio shack good quality I know I'm in shock too) then just get another adapter that hooks into the headphone jack.

That product you have will only work for sound and not video.

Edited by Ryan., 15 March 2006 - 04:42 PM.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well first of all you dont need 3 plugs
you are only wanting to transfer video not audio ( yellow: video white: audio red: stereo )

what you want is a male s-video to female rca plug

with my radeon 9550 it came with its own little connector
i couldnt find the exact cannector that came with mine but this will do the job once again you dont need an s-video to 3 rca cable this will do i hope it helps
p.s sorry about the quality

troppo

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well first of all you dont need 3 plugs
you are only wanting to transfer video not audio ( yellow: video white: audio red: stereo )

what you want is a male s-video to female rca plug

with my radeon 9550 it came with its own little connector it looks like this:

Attached Thumbnails

• videoware_1888_20641032_1_.jpg
  • videoware_1888_20641032_1_.jpg

Duvan

Duvan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Uh.. You mean S-video male to video-RCA male?
I mean, the thing you put in the TV should be a pointy thing, not a hole-like thing. Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't relly know anything. :tazz:

But I actually found a s-video male to rca-male on a net shop.
The thing that is bothering me now is that there seems to be different S-video cables. This one is a MD4, and that's the only thing I can find.
If I look at the back of my 6600gt card, it seems to have 7 small holes and two large ones. Like this:

Posted Image

Won't this cable work, and what on earth should the kind of s-video cable I need be named?

Edited by Duvan, 16 March 2006 - 06:28 AM.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well here in australia i have only heard of and seen 1 type of svideo cable
with my radeon 9550 it had its own little connector it is a small cable that is svideo to rca female which i plugged a male to male cable into that then connected it to my tv i hvae taken some pics of the cable my self but last time i posted i had some trouble uploading it ( i dont no why )
but i will try again for you if not give me your email and i will send them to you that way

yes they worked sorry about the bad quality but it was taken with my camera phone

this adapter came with my card did u purchase your card brand new or from somewhere else?
the reason i ask is because it should have come with something but teh cable that i posted in the last post will work plug the svideo into the card then the rca plug into the yellow socket

but you also have to enabale the second display in your ati settings
which should be in your system tray ( i think thast where mine is )

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG
  • untitled.JPG

Duvan

Duvan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay. But you could just as well have used s-video male to rca male, if just you would have had one.

Bought the gainward 6600gt all new, nothing strange with that. I don't think there were any cables in the box at all. Will have to check when I get home.

Okay, but since I supplied a photo, I'm sure some of you can compare it with your s-video ports? Is that a normal S-video port, then I can just buy the normal MD4.
Thanks.

Edited by Duvan, 16 March 2006 - 07:15 AM.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well it looks exactly the same as mine and the one on my tv
the only reason i used the adapter that came with my card is becuase i already had a male to male RCA cable at home.

your svideo port looks teh same as mine
to clear up find a svideo to male rca plug and that should do it
yes i could have used a male svideo to male RCA but i didnt have one and the adapter came wiht my card and a alreday had a cable that would work at home so thast what i used
gooduck
troppo