Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard, Hard drive or Power Supply?

• Please log in to reply

ashwanth

ashwanth

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an unsual problem. My computer isn't too old (~2 years) and I recently bought a new power supply (~3 months). A few days ago my comp would not turn on. I removed all the cables in the computer, leaving the power supply connected only to the motherboard (the hard drive, dvd drive, etc were unplugged) and the computer would turn on. When my hard drive is connected to the power supply but not the motherboard, the computer would still turn on. But when the hard drive is connected to the motherboard and power supply, the computer would turn on for a second and just go off. Does this mean the motherboard can't handle my hard drive and shuts off the system immediately? Or does this mean that something might be wrong with the power supply? Or is the hard drive the problem?

Please let me know what you think!
Thanks!!

- Confused Computer geek

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Hard to say for sure. My first guess would be a problem with the hard drive. Do you have another hard drive you can try on the system? Be careful and don't use a disk with critical information on it or a valuable disk since sometimes problems exists which can damage the device.

My guess would be that there is something wrong with the disk and the interface, such as a short. But it could also be something else.