Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shutdown and restart probls

• Please log in to reply

crazy_valentine

crazy_valentine

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey guys,
I had some trouble with some registry files and so re-installed XP with SP2 coupla days back..ever since, my PC doesn't respond when i click shutdown or restart [but it does go to stand by mode]...even when i choose the same from taskmanager window the same problem persists..I have to switch off the system using the power button ... and i don't like that idea...Please help when u come across this post....

NB: This is one of the best support sites i have seen in last 5 years!!... keep up the good work..cheers

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what happens if you do start > run > cmd > shutdown -s -t 00
or start > run > cmd > shutdown -r -t 00

crazy_valentine

crazy_valentine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey dsenette,
Sorry..but i didn't get what u said...can u be more specific with what i am supposed to do?..

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
press the start button....then choose run from the menu that opens...type in cmd and press enter...this will bring up a black windows (command prompt) in that window type shutdown -s -t 00 and press enter
that SHOULD shut your computer down...if it does... start back up follow the same process but type shutdown -r -t 00 that SHOULD restart your computer

crazy_valentine

crazy_valentine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
it shows that it is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
?!?!?!...you are on xp correct?

don't know if this will help but

Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.