Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Forum design

• Please log in to reply

neophite

neophite

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all, I am very new to this, but I want to design my own forum with my own costumized graphics. What software do you recomend for this?

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Thats a pretty vague order...

The majority of the software available is able to be modified, some are obviously easier than others.

I would honestly say the EASIEST one IMHO is PunBB. You really only have three files that need to be changed to make it look totally different and two of them are CSS files.

Also, you have to look at what you want to pay...

vBulletin, Invision PowerBoard, Burning Board, are examples of some good, but costly software.

PunBB, phpBB2, XMB, SMF are some examples of free software packages.

Out of the commercial packages I prefer vBulletin, out of the free ones I prefer PunBB.

Again, your best bet is to try them out on your server and see if they fit with your plans for your site.

vBulletin gives you access to a demo of the admin area to see if it works for you... do a Google search and I would think you'll find demos for the others as well.

neophite

neophite

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: Thanxs notch...I did some research and those names ring a bell, you just confirmed what I mostly had tought.