Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

120GB drive shows up as 32GB

• Please log in to reply

gaz

gaz

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hi. ive just got a new computer and have bought a 120GB harddrive for it. i formatted it in FAT32 foemat(now i;ve been told i needed to use the other option NIST i think). i then installed xp on this drive. when i rightclick on the drive and voew it's properties it says its only 32GB not 120GB like it says on the name and in the model number. i thought this might be to do with the format i choose initially so i tried to reformat the drive bu ti got an error message saying i need to close all things using the drive before continuing. anyone got any advice?
will reformatting and reinatalling giveb me the full capacity of the disk?

also what i eventually want to do is be able to run both windows and liux off the same machine. does anyone know if this is possible and what will i need to do to do this

thanks

Advertisements

chopyaedoff

chopyaedoff

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
please check your hard disk's manual as the 32gb clip jumper positions may be active