Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphic attachment blinks and crashes XP machine

• Please log in to reply

mkrowni

mkrowni

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Howdy,

New here, please forgive any newbie silliness...

A friend...no! Really!...opened a graphic file from an attachment and...

It started blinking rapidly
Computer froze
He rebooted several times to get working again

I don't have all the info, I haven't seen the box yet, but I KNOW he's going to call me tomorrow and I wanted to try to get a head start. It sounds like it might be a fairly obvious issue to someone...(he hopes with great hopefulness)

Fairly new (under 0ne year) Dell laptop, WinXP Pro, plenty of memory etc.

I can't imagine a memory issue here, I've seen things blink before, but this sounds wierd to me.

Sorry to leave such a vague post, I'm just hoping it's either a. something easily removed or b. something easily replaced...but I ramble!

Much thanks,
MK

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This sounds like a virus or trojan inside the attachment. Can you boot into safe mode and see if you can delete the file? If he can start the puter and get to windows run a online scanner for viruses.

SRX660

mkrowni

mkrowni

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Can you reccomend an online virus scanner?

Thanks Much,
MK

mkrowni

mkrowni

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Oops, Just found that page...about scanners...I get ahead of myself sometimes...sorry about that...8-)

Thanks,
MK