Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive really full

• Please log in to reply

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
ok just tonight i have found that my c: drive is full
here is some background, i have two 120Gb hard drives they are both partitioned twice
disk #1
1st partition
windows operating system (50Gb's)
2nd partiton
applications (64gb's)

disk #2
1st partiton
documents (74Gb's)
2nd partiton
backup (40gb's)

now tonight i just realised that my c drive is extramly full out of 50 Gb's i only have 688Mb's left omg
thats not even large enough for the paging file!

i have noticed latly that my computer is running slow and i think this is the problem!
i use the pc for dvd editing and no wonder it is slow

now as you have probably figured out from above that i try to save as much as i can on other partitons so that the c: drive doesnt get full
but what could be causeing this an operating system should take up 50Gb's
any help would be apreciated or is this a normal thing for the c: drive to get this full?
should i extend or resize this partition

thankyou
troppo

Advertisements

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Have you tried to free up space by running a disk cleanup/ emptying the recycle bin and if u run Norton, delete files in Norton protected. Also uninstall programs u dont need and burn whtever u can onto Cds, like music , pic files etc. Restore points also take up space. After this run a chkdsk and defragment the drive. This will help free up space, how much is to be seen.
http://pcworld.about...p162id97442.htm

baroon

baroon

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I'm agree with "dagger".Also try using third party disk cleaning utility to remove junk files from hard disk. Do check for System Restore checkpoints, as they use to take up lot of spaces on hard drive. I would recommend you to remove all previous checkpoints except the last one. You can do via hard disk property page.

Right click hard disk - properties - disk cleanup, to open disk cleanup window. Now select "more option" tab and move to section captioned system restore and click "clean up" button and you're done.

If all these won't work, then there's a possibilty of any malware or virus infecting your system. Try scanning your hard drive using any antivirus with latest update.

Hope this might work. :tazz:

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
thankyou for your input but really should an operating system be taking up 50 gbs i install as much as i can of the cdrive and i save all of our documents in a seperate drive i have resized partion twice it just seems strange but i will defiatly delete old backups

thankyou
troppo

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Run Ccleaner to clean up your temp folders, run chkdsk just in case there's a problem with the file indexes.