Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird Error Message

• Please log in to reply

raiden69

raiden69

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi, I would be thankful if i could get any help on this scenario. A customer just booked in a pc.
The Pc starts ,tells me the boot.ini files is missing it then continues to boot until a window appears with the following message: error message :"when trying to update a password ,the return status indicates thet the value provided as the current password is not correct" and thereafter trhe pc restarts. Tried last known good configuration,safe mode.Is there any file i could replace to fix this problem without reinstalling?

Cheers. :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
there seems to be two issues here...the missing boot,ini file error is odd, because you should not move beyond that point.

The second issue was often related to the sassar worm infection, but I do not think that is the case here, since you cannot even enter Windows...sasser shut you down a couple minutes after loading

I would suggest a two pronged approach--first, can you pull the drive and put it in a second system and check to see if the boot,ini file is indeed missing?

You may need to create one manually...if you cannot do that, you need to explain the system setup (number of drives, windows install directory)

I would repair that first, and see if that addresses the issue.

Then, I would follow the instructions here,

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=307545

You likely only need to concern yourself with
the sam and security keys

Do you follow that?

raiden69

raiden69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
tHANKS, i RAN A VIRUS SCAN FROM THE COMMAND PROMPT, WHERE VIRUSSES(w32 jEEFO AD W32/PATE B WERE DISINFECTED WHERAFTER I JUST RAN A REPAIR. EVERYTHING IS WORKING FINE NOW.JUST SCANNED AGAIN IN WINDOWS AND REMOVED THE LAST VIRUSES FROM WITHIN WINDOWS. THANKS FOR THE HELP. :tazz: