Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD while moving windows

• Please log in to reply

RootExposure

RootExposure

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have a customer's computer at the shop that i'm ready to pull my hair out over. He brought the computer for a os reload and he was getting restarts when he was moving windows.

Before I get into it, he has a samsung 244t (a 24 inch widescreen lcd) with an nvidia fx5600, which he decided to upgrade to the 7800GS to support the 1920x1200 native resolution of the huge lcd. He's running them on a asus p4c800 and a P4 3.00. and a gig of pc 3200 ram.

I shut off the automatic restart to see the blue screen. After that I got an stop error blaming it on win32k.sys. I restarted and tried again and got a Page_Fault_in_Nonpaged_Area and gave nv4_disp.dll. I know that nv4_disp.dll is related to the nvidia driver. But I have found nothing on fixing this problem I have looked on microsoft and several forums with no luck.

I removed the monitor and used a standard 17" CRT, with the same results. The problem was also occuring with the fx5600 and with older drivers. I upgraded to the newest drivers after I formatted the system but of course same thing was happening.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Which drivers are you using?

What model and make are the video cards?

The fact that it is two video cards resulting in the same error is...interesting.

How much memory was on the video cards?

Large quantities (256mb)

Does the error occur in safe mode? Does the error occur at lower resolutions?

Just as a test, drop into bios and reduce the ACP aperature setting from whereever it is to lower...does that make a difference?

What kind of motherboard?

RootExposure

RootExposure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
The older driver he was using I'm not sure of. I installed the latest driver (Forceware 81.98)

The two cards:
MSI fx5600
XFX 7800GS

Both had 256MB

Like I said in the original post he has an asus p4c800 board

I will try it in safe mode and also try the bios setting change and reply the results.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
do you know what version of bios it has