Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer needs to close.

• Please log in to reply

igaray

igaray

• Pip
  • 3 posts
While surfing the Internet a window comes up either it the Dr watson or the Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and must close every time I log on the Internet. My norton antivirus expired two weeks ago and haven't haven't renewed. Please help with specific instructions.

Advertisements

rambro

rambro

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts
Dear igaray, :tazz:

(Note: Please read through these instructions a couple of times before executing the steps in this post.)

You may want to print out these instructions or save them as a text file with "Notepad" to your desktop because we will be restarting into Safe Mode later on in the fix and you might not be able to access the Internet.

Welcome to the Geeks to Go forums.

We are currently studying your log. :)

If you cannot access the Internet and you have access to a CD Burner on another pc, do the following:

Create three new folders on the desktop of this PC. Label them

Trojan Hunter
Ewido
HijackThis

Download a Free Trial of Trojan Hunter at http://www.misec.net...rojanHunter.exe to this pc's desktop and copy and place the executable file (TrojanHunter.exe) in the Trojan Hunter folder on this pc's desktop. Do not run this executable file at this time.

Since you cannot access the Internet, please download the latest update files for TrojanHunter program from this link: http://www.misec.net...unter/updating/. Place this file also, in the Trojan Hunter folder on this pc's desktop.

Download Ewido Security Suite from here: http://www.ewido.net/en/download/ to this pc's desktop and copy and place the "ewido-setup.exe" executable file in the Ewido folder on this pc's desktop. Do not run this executable file at this time.

Again, since you cannot access the Internet, please download the latest update files for the Ewido Security Suite program from this link: http://www.ewido.net...wnload/updates/ (i.e. download the "Full Database"). Place these files also, in the Ewido folder on this pc's desktop.

Please go here and download the latest version of HijackThis: http://www.spywarein.../HijackThis.exe. Place this executable file (i.e. HijackThis.exe) in the HijackThis folder on this pc.

Get a new CD-ROM disk, and copy (i.e. burn) the three folders on this pc's desktop to the CD ROM disk. Copy the three folders from the CD-ROM disk to the infected pc's C: drive.

From the infected computer

Click on "TrojanHunter.exe" executable file to install the Trojan Hunter program and manually install the lastest updates for this program; however, do not run this program at this time, you will run the program in safe mode.

Click on the "ewido-setup.exe" executable file to install the Ewido Security Suite program and manually install the latest updates for this program; however, do not run this program at this time, you will run the program in safe mode.

Note: When installing the Ewido Security Suite program, under 'Additional Options' uncheck:
  • Install background guard
  • Install scan via context menu

Now that the TrojanHunter and Ewido Security programs, and their repective updates, are installed on the "Infected computer".

Do the following:

Please reboot your computer into Safe mode (continually tap the F8 key while your system is starting, select Safe Mode from the menu). For additional help in booting into Safe Mode, see the following site: http://www.pchell.co.../safemode.shtml

Run the TrojanHunter program and fix anything it detects.

Run a full scan with the ewido application and remove anything it finds. This application should also produce a log, please post this log in a reply to this post.

Restart your computer back into normal mode.

Run HijackThis (i.e. the Hijackthis.exe file in your HijackThis folder), have it scan your computer and save a logfile.

Please post a new HijackThis log and also post the log from the Ewido scan in a reply to this post. :)

rambro

rambro

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

(Note: Please read through these instructions a couple of times before executing the steps in this post.)

My norton antivirus expired two weeks ago and haven't haven't renewed.

If you haven't renewed your norton antivirus I have the following alternatives for you (i.e. note: I would not recommend renewing the norton antivirus software).

Since your norton antivirus software has expired, AVG makes an excellent free antivirus client, as do AntiVir or avast!.
I suggest you install and run one of these anitivirus software programs.

Here are the steps you should take to install your new antivirus software:1. Create a folder on your desktop and name it "Antivirus"
2. Download the .exe or .zip file to this folder but do not run the executable or zip files respectively at this time.
3. Restart your computer, without connecting to the "Internet".
4. Uninstall your old antivirus software through the "Add/Remove" programs via your Control Panel (in your case, uninstall your Norton Antivirus software).
5. Install your new antivirus software, without connecting to the "Internet".
6. Restart your computer and re-connect to the "Internet" and run your new antivirus software and fix anything it finds (i.e. in your case, if you cannot connect to the Internet through your browser, run your new antivirus software anyway and fix anything it finds).
Dear igaray, from my previous post, you could also burn/copy the "Antivirus" folder on to a CD-ROM (i.e. create a "fourth" folder) and place it on the infected computer and then if or when you get your Internet access back you could follow the instructions in this post, to install your new antivirus software on your computer.

rambro :)

igaray

igaray

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
edited

Edited by rambro, 18 March 2006 - 05:35 PM.

igaray

igaray

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
edited

Edited by rambro, 18 March 2006 - 05:36 PM.

rambro

rambro

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Just a few things, I want to mention.

1. Please do not repost back to me what I post to you. I know what I want you to do, so I don't need to see it reposted back to me. This saves space and it helps me analyze your posts better. Just post the information I ask for.

2. You can use the quote funciton, but I don't want to see your entire post to me in quotes and especially if its a repost of what I sent you. You can use the quote function, if their are portions of my post you don't understand or if you want to make a point. In other words, use the quote function, sparingly.

3. I don't want to see file attachments, for example, I want to see the contents of the ewido security scan log and the HijackThis log in a post to me. I don't want these logs as file attachments.

4. Re-enable the error messages, this way I can see if the solutions that I am giving you will work.

Thank You for your cooperation. :)

rambro :)

Edited by rambro, 18 March 2006 - 05:38 PM.