Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with new system hardware.

• Please log in to reply

nidus80

nidus80

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Harware purchased: ASUS A8R-MVP Socket 939 Motherboard, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, 3GB CORSAIR XMS 184-Pin DDR SDRAM, Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB, 2 Pioneer DVR-111D 16X DVD Drives, POWERCOLOR X1600PRO 256MB DDR2 Radeon X1600PRO.

I took it upon myself to try to build my own system (never built one before) and I have had a host of problems but I will stick to the current problem I am having. I have every piece of hardware i bought connected to my motherboard and after some effort I am able to turn it on and access the bios. Mostly everything works and is recognized except for the 2 Pioneer DVR drives. Both drives are on the same IDE cable and I have one set to master and the other to slave but could not see it in the bios. I then tried installing just one drive instead of two and I still could not see it in my bios setup. I tried clearing the CMOS and reseated all of the cabling but I just cant get it recognized. One thing that I should mention is that I am having a problem wiring the front panel as well as the other things such as the cables marked POWER LED+ POWER LED- POWER SW etc. could this impact the installation somehow? Also when I boot up the system and leave it on for about a minute or so it shuts off by itself.

What I am looking to accomplish is the following: Get the BIOS to recognize the 2 Pioneer DVR's, Properly wire the system's front panel (usb, power led etc.) and get the system to stay on without shutting off. If I can get this done with your help you will be in my prayers tonight.

Thanks in advance...

Edited by nidus80, 16 March 2006 - 08:10 PM.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Harware purchased: ASUS A8R-MVP Socket 939 Motherboard, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, 3GB CORSAIR XMS 184-Pin DDR SDRAM, Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB, 2 Pioneer DVR-111D 16X DVD Drives, POWERCOLOR X1600PRO 256MB DDR2 Radeon X1600PRO.

I took it upon myself to try to build my own system (never built one before) and I have had a host of problems but I will stick to the current problem I am having. I have every piece of hardware i bought connected to my motherboard and after some effort I am able to turn it on and access the bios. Mostly everything works and is recognized except for the 2 Pioneer DVR drives. Both drives are on the same IDE cable and I have one set to master and the other to slave but could not see it in the bios. I then tried installing just one drive instead of two and I still could not see it in my bios setup. I tried clearing the CMOS and reseated all of the cabling but I just cant get it recognized. One thing that I should mention is that I am having a problem wiring the front panel as well as the other things such as the cables marked POWER LED+ POWER LED- POWER SW etc. could this impact the installation somehow? Also when I boot up the system and leave it on for about a minute or so it shuts off by itself.

What I am looking to accomplish is the following: Get the BIOS to recognize the 2 Pioneer DVR's, Properly wire the system's front panel (usb, power led etc.) and get the system to stay on without shutting off. If I can get this done with your help you will be in my prayers tonight.

Thanks in advance...

weird.. but the power led's has nothing to do with anything all they do is just gives you an activity light telling you when the harddrive is in use. Thats not the problem, and the power SWITCH and power led is not the problem because as long as you get the pc to turn on your fine, thats not the problem either.

Try just one of the dvd drives hooked up again and try it on the other ide channel and on another ide cable.. make shure the jumper is set right depending on if there is something else on the cable.

IF your harddrive is serial ata then the problem is you have to find a setting in the bios somewhere that says which mode you want the ide devices and serial ata devices to run in like enhanced mode etc... all motherboards are different so this is all the help I can give you. Its a setting like I explained above that lists the ide channels and the serial ata and it will list some sort of modes. Just read the modes which it will explain and pick the right one for your setup.

Edited by jrm20, 16 March 2006 - 08:37 PM.

nidus80

nidus80

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Can someone elaborate on this a bit more? Like I said before I'm new to building a PC and therefore new to the whole bios config experience... But I will try to browse the bios a bit more to see what I could find. and yes my Hard drive is SATA. By the way I am starting my system up with a pen at the moment seeing as I have not finished wiring my system yet... Can someone give me a link on how to properly wire the front panel of my system as well as the basic wires such as the sound, power, HD light etc. I'm a noob with a bit of knowledge.

Edited by nidus80, 16 March 2006 - 10:04 PM.

nidus80

nidus80

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
and i tried using different IDE cables for the dvr's and also I got a new message when the bios boots up which says "ATAPI device is not compatible". does that mean that I need to get different dvd burners? is there a way around this? I mean this is a new system and these burners are brand new. I dont understand. One thing I would like to point out is there is a port on the back of the burner to the right of the audio port. What is this used for?

Edited by nidus80, 17 March 2006 - 09:43 AM.