Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Run fan off batteries

• Please log in to reply

hintswen

hintswen

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Just wondering if/how i can run a fan(from a old PC) on batteries.

On the top of the fan it says this:
COOLER
DC 12V BRUSHLESS
BALL BEARING 1.4W
MADE IN CHINA

It has 3 wires(if not all do) red,yellow, black.

I'd prefer a really cheap/easy way to do it and i don't plan on putting this fan back in a computer.

Edited by hintswen, 17 March 2006 - 01:45 AM.

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Maybe modify two 9V batteries. You can ditch the yellow cable, you just need the red and black cables!

hintswen

hintswen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
what do you mean by modify? i'd like to be able to recharge the batteries, i'm guessing it would drain batteries alot and it would be costly if i can't charge them...

so would i just need to plug in 2 9V batteries and it'll work? hmm... isn't that 2 much power though? also which wire is + which is - and stuff?

could i like... buy something from a hardware store that allows me to connect 2 9V batteries easily.
and the connector thing that the wores are going into, i'd have to just cut that off right? jaming a wire into the end won't work? lol.

I'm no electricition, just a 15(16 next month) year old kid wanting to do something new :tazz:

Edited by hintswen, 17 March 2006 - 09:00 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napolιon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
why do you want to run the fan off of a battery in the first place? just a question

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napolιon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ah..i see..you're just wanting a fan....does the fan have a serial number or an FCC number on it? there are 12v batteries that would work but we would need to know the acceptable amperage for the fan

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01 – hintswen –[Running fan from battery]
St Patrick’s March 2006

On the top of the fan it says this:
COOLER
DC 12V BRUSHLESS
BALL BEARING 1.4W
MADE IN CHINA

Given the Wattage & Voltage values – this calculates the following -

Wattage = 1.4 Watts
Voltage = 12 Volts DC
Current = 120 milliamps
Resistance = 100 Ohms

Using a 9 volt alkaline battery would run fan at 75% speed - & draw 90 milliamps

9 Volt alkaline batteries (which consist internally of six 1.5 volt alkaline cells) are generally rated at about 1 ampere-hour – so running this fan @ 9 Volts @ 90 milliamps for about 6 – 8 hours –

Red wire = [+ 12 Volt] Input Power connects to [Smaller Male] + Battery Terminal
Black Wire = [Return] Input Power connects to [Larger Female] – Battery Terminal
Yellow Wire =[Tach Output] – Voltage is proportional to RPM - Insulate & leave disconnected

You can buy/purchase a – 9 Volt Battery – Holder & Connectors at Radio Shack

http://www.radioshac.....attery holder

and a SPST –ON/OFF switch at Radio Shack

http://www.radioshac.....toggle switch

plus Plastic Project Enclosure box at Radio Shack

http://www.radioshac.....enclosure box

EDIT- You should add - [0.125 Amp Fuse] & [Fuse Holder]- I will Post new Details later

See attachment- for Circuit - [Without Fuse] will Revise Later-

Attached File  9V_Fan_Circuit.pdf   18.44KB   215 downloads

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 17 March 2006 - 02:40 PM.

hintswen

hintswen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
dsenette, i want to run the fan off a battery because it will look cool(or atleast i think it will) It's not because i want a fan(i won't even be moving it much!). It doesn't have any other information aside from what i said in the first post.

Jack123, thanks for all the information. Now I'm a bit more confused than before.

i'll need to solder stuff won't I :tazz: I don't have a soldering iron, might know someone that has 1... I hope.

EDIT: I was just looking at the switches and some say stuff like 'Rated 3 amps at 125VAC' should i be looking for something in particular? i never knew switches had stats

Edited by hintswen, 17 March 2006 - 03:57 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Is it for your computer?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napolιon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you got a guage of wire that's the same thickness of the pins on the mobo that the fan plugs into....TECHNICALLY you could just stick the ends into the holes on the fan's connector...concidering that's basically how the fan attatches to the MOBO to begin with....you would just have to find a way to keep those wires in the holes...

hintswen

hintswen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
warriorscot, the fan is from a old computer i have and if u read what i have posted you'd know i don't plan on putting it in my computer, if it was for my computer i probably wouldn't make it run off batteries.

dsenette, so i could just use 1 of the other wires that was connecting something? IE. the wire that was going from the CD drive to the system board(or whatever the big green thing is called!)

edit: It's saturday so i might do to Dick Smith or something later and see if i can get these parts.

edit: oh and Jack123, thanks for the diagram :tazz:

edit: what are S1 and B1 though? and is the dotted line around the outside just the enclosure?

edit again: dsenette, abat about if i stuck them in, and usec duct tape or something like that to hold them lol. i was just looking at the wores that go from the lights at the front of the pc(the red/green lights) to the system board, and i realised i could take the end off it(black thing) and then it's just the silver bit that the wires would have to toucr... i could put a wire in there and twist it around so it won't come out aswell...

edit: omg! it's so cool(both temprature cool and the other cool). i just tried it with 3 AAA batteries, just lined them up and touchec the wire on the ends. nice cool air lol.

Edited by hintswen, 17 March 2006 - 05:43 PM.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

I'm no electricition, just a 15(16 next month) year old kid wanting to do something new :tazz:

I'm 14 :\.

hintswen

hintswen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
nice... just thinking... if i could be bothered... how hard/easy would it be to attack it to different types of batteries, and have a ifferent switch for each. then dependsing on which switches are on it gets a different voltage, different speed, different sound etc. or am i just overdoing it now lol.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
02 – hintswen –[Running fan from battery]
St Patrick’s March 2006

By the way – hintswen – Welcome to –[Geeks to Go] – Glad to have you join us – What country are you Posting from - [Australia] or [New Zealand]

I'll need to solder stuff won't I I don't have a soldering iron, might know someone that has 1... I hope.

Yes – Soldering would be good to learn – It is not hard – But it is more of – [Trade/Art] – to do it correctly – There is – [No Value] – in a Poor/Sloppy Soldering – You can use – [Solder-less Terminals] – But that also requires Training & Proper tools and technique -

I was just looking at the switches and some say stuff like 'Rated 3 amps at 125VAC' should i be looking for something in particular? i never knew switches had stats

All components have – [Specifications/Ratings] – for Voltage/Current – Wattage – Thermal – Size – Type – The criteria used in selecting the proper specifications is called – [Engineering] – I gave you a – [Basic Schematic] – but did not give any – [Engineering Data] – But I did give you the information for you to select from – The fact that you – [Noticed the existence] – of these ratings – and asked about them – is a – [Positive Indication] – that you are interested in obtaining more knowledge -

oh and Jack123, thanks for the diagram

You are welcome – Thanks for the acknowledgement – It is a very basic schematic – and does not contain nearly enough information to actually build from – I am impressed by your questions and comments – and the mere fact that you acknowledged receiving it -

What are S1 and B1 though? and is the dotted line around the outside just the enclosure?

These are good questions & indicates to me about your observance ability – [S1] is the terminology for the Electric Symbol for the Switch – which is called – [Switch 1] – and is abbreviated – [S1] – B1 is for – [Blower Motor/Fan #1] – and is abbreviated [B1]

Yes the dotted lines is the – [Standard] – for showing an Enclosure -

nice... just thinking... if i could be bothered... how hard/easy would it be to attack it to different types of batteries, and have a ifferent switch for each. then dependsing on which switches are on it gets a different voltage, different speed, different sound etc. or am i just overdoing it now lol

I am impressed with the – [Increased Interest] – that you developed – from 1st Post to your last Post – You can go as far as you can imagine – In fact by using the – [Yellow Wire] – you can make the Fan – [Automatically Increase/Decrease RPM] – directly proportional to temperature increase/decrease – See Link –
http://www.national..../AN/AN-1262.pdf

Of course it is extremely more complex than the simple schematic that I supplied – You can visit your – [Local Library] - & - Look at some of the – books on –
(1)-Electric Motors & Control Circuits
(2)-Detector Circuits
(3)-Electronic Circuit Guidebook

Jack123, thanks for all the information. Now I'm a bit more confused than before.

No – not more confused – Just obtaining a greater thirst for knowledge –

I'm no electricition, just a 15(16 next month) year old kid wanting to do something new

Looks like we might have the beginning of a – [New Inventor] – Good Luck –

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 17 March 2006 - 10:48 PM.

hintswen

hintswen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I kinda already know how to solder, did some electronics at school year 7 or 8, didn't make much thow. I just don't want to soldercause then i gotta get a soldering iron.

I found out that someone else has already tried this but they stoped because the battery runs out to fast. they had a good idea of using it to cool your hand while it's on the mouse.

from the place where he posted about it i got this link http://wiki.ehow.com...ab-Power-Supply which would allow me to use the fan with my PC'a power supply instead of batteries, but i don't think i can go through that tutorial :tazz:

Oh and i'm from australia :) i guess i'll check out my school's libary, they should have some helpful reasources. don't know how long i'll be able to keep these parts before my mum chucks them out lol.

Would be good to be able to modify my power supply(or if worst comes to worst buy a 'lab power supply' for my fan) and i've also got another PC lying around that i'll be taking apart... 2 fans =D

Guess i might as well read that PDF for now.

edit: yI had a quick look through that pdf, didn't understand 1 bit of it... maybe now i'll understand it better because i've been off the computer for a few hours.

Edited by hintswen, 18 March 2006 - 05:13 AM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
03 – hintswen –[Running fan from battery]
Post – [St Patrick’s Day] - March 2006

Ok – Looks like you are headed in right direction – The link about the – [Power Supply] – is very good – I had seen that before – That pdf Link that I showed you – was, perhaps a little advanced for you now – but I wanted to show you – Just how good your idea/thought of – [Fan Speed Control] – was & how far you could go with the – Task you are working with now –

Think of this – How similar is – [Controlling Fan Speed] – to – [Airplane Propeller Speed] –

Good luck – Mate
Jack123