Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BF2 Running Slow

• Please log in to reply

Knob-Creek

Knob-Creek

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have been playing BF2 since it came out and have not had any problems running it. Just recently in the past few weeks it is very very slow and I am unable to play at that rate. I have a 2.8ghz P4 w/ 2G Kingston Hyper X RAM, and an ATI 128MB All In Wonder 9800 video card. I am guessing it has something to do with the video card and I have done all of the most recent updates from ATI. The other thought was that the vid card is overheating, so I changed the direction of some of my fans to blow in on the side near the card. Alas, still no help. Can some one please help me! I would love to be able to do something with out replacing the card.

Advertisements

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
im actually suprised you could play BF2 at all with a 128 card. But yes thats usually where the problem lies. Also, defragging your HDD couldnt hurt. Also, run some sort of spybot program like adaware or spubot search and destroy. Definitly upgrade your video card to a nicer 256 one.

Knob-Creek

Knob-Creek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have defragged all partitions, but didnt really help. And yes, the 128 is minimum req and was actually working great before something happened. I wish I the funding like you do, sounds like a nice rig. Thanks for your help

Kwik8604

Kwik8604

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I also had the 9800 Pro, and I could run BF2 perfectly on medium settings, but I had the same problem w/ BF2 and BFV running slow. So I pressed Ctrl Alt Dlt, and looked at the processes. I noticed there was a Scan32.exe process taking up 50%+ of my CPU, so I googled it, and saw it doesn't really have anything to do w/ what I was running, so I ended that process and BF2 and BFV ran smoothly

Knob-Creek

Knob-Creek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Great, thank you very much for the advice.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Also, was this after you installed the new patches? I've heard weird thing with ATi users and the new patches...

Knob-Creek

Knob-Creek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Previously there were problems with the patches installed and even now with just v 1.1 installed there are still those issues. Does this sound more like a graphics card problem or a hard drive problem?

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

I have defragged all partitions, but didnt really help. And yes, the 128 is minimum req and was actually working great before something happened. I wish I the funding like you do, sounds like a nice rig. Thanks for your help

No prob. and as for the rig I just pieced it together a lil bit at a time.
And as for your vid card, it does meet the minimum specs, but usually Ive found when I just meet min specs the game usually doesnt run well unless I have it on the LOWEST possible setting. Take a look at newegg.com they run great deals on Video cards all teh time. I got both of my cards for $99 each after rebate. Or $260 before rebate. I just saw on there they had a 6800 gs for 160. The GS cards are WAY better than the reg 6800. And it also had a $30 mailin rebate.
-Pete.

Knob-Creek

Knob-Creek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have replaced my video card with an ATI Radeon x850 platinum ed, and bf2 is still really slow to load, if it acutally loads. DOD source looks great, but the speed is very laggy. I have low latency, but display is still choppy. Please help.

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
It almost sounds as though youve got something running in the background. Some sort of hidden process. Go into your task manager and see if there is a large process running when you dont have anything open. That usually is the cause of loading issues.
Also, make sure when in game that the rate settings are right. As for DoD,cs, go into console by pressing the ~ key type rate 7500. That is usually good enough for cable/DSL. In BF2 it should be in the options somewhere.
-Pete.

Knob-Creek

Knob-Creek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks, Pete. I will check those options out when I get home from work. Thanks again!

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Knob, try downloading some new graphics drivers if they are a problem. I find my FPS have boosted since installing omegadrivers.

The link is in my sig.