Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware Problems [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

noriel

noriel

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi. I've about 4 different malwares infecting my system, or so my systems says, of which spy falcon is the most persistent. I ran Hijack this and the log is included below. Can someone help me select what I need to get rid of?

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = \blank.htm
O2 - BHO: HomepageBHO - {4da4616d-7e6e-4fd9-a2d5-b6c535733e22} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\hpCEF5.tmp
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmcService] C:\PROGRA~1\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - Global Startup: InterVideo WinCinema Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Sygate Personal Firewall (SmcService) - Sygate Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe

Advertisements

Flrman1

Flrman1

Malware Assassin

• Retired Staff
  • 6,596 posts
Hi noriel

Welcome to G2G! :tazz:

Please repost your Hijack This log. You didn't post all of it. When the log opens in notepad, go to Edit > Select All then Edit > Copy to insure you have copied the entire log. Come back here ans paste it in your next reply to this topic.

noriel

noriel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Here is how my full system scan looks: Hope it's cleanable.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 00:12:01, on 18-Mar-2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mssearchnet.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvctrl.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: HomepageBHO - {4da4616d-7e6e-4fd9-a2d5-b6c535733e22} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\hpCEF5.tmp
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - Global Startup: InterVideo WinCinema Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Sygate Personal Firewall (SmcService) - Sygate Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe

Flrman1

Flrman1

Malware Assassin

• Retired Staff
  • 6,596 posts
* Click here to download smitRem.exe.
  • Save the file to your desktop.
  • It is a self extracting file.
  • Doubleclick the smitRem.exe and it will extract the files to a smitRem folder on your desktop.
  • Do not do anything with it yet. You will run the RunThis.bat file later in safe mode.
  • If the link to SmitRem above is not working try this one.

* Download the trial version of Ewido Security Suite here.
  • Install ewido.
  • During the installation, under "Additional Options" uncheck "Install background guard" and "Install scan via context menu".
  • Launch ewido
  • It will prompt you to update click the OK button and it will go to the main screen
  • On the left side of the main screen click update
  • Click on Start and let it update.
  • DO NOT run a scan yet. You will do that later in safe mode.

* Click Here and download Killbox and save it to your desktop.

* Click here to download FixSF.zip and save it to your desktop.
Unzip it to extract the FixSF.reg file it contains.

* Click here for info on how to boot to safe mode if you don't already know how.

* Now copy these instructions to notepad and save them to your desktop. You will need them to refer to in safe mode.

* Restart your computer into safe mode now. Perform the following steps in safe mode:

* Go to Add/Remove programs and uninstall SpyFalcon if it is there. Do not restart your computer if it asks you to do so.

* Doublclick on the FixSF.reg file to add it to the registry.
Answer yes to confirm the merge.

* Double-click on Killbox.exe to run it.
  • Put a tick by Standard File Kill.
  • In the "Full Path of File to Delete" box, copy and paste each of the following lines one at a time:

C:\Windows\System32\dxmpp.dll

C:\Windows\System32\ginuerep.dll

C:\Program Files\SpyFalcon

• Click on the button that has the red circle with the X in the middle after you enter each file.
  • It will ask for confimation to delete the file.
  • Click Yes.
  • Continue with that procedure until you have pasted all of these in the "Paste Full Path of File to Delete" box.
  • Killbox may tell you that one or more files do not exist.
  • If that happens, just continue on with all the files. Be sure you don't miss any.
  • Exit the Killbox.

* Open the smitRem folder, then double click the RunThis.bat file to start the tool. Follow the prompts on screen.
Wait for the tool to complete and disk cleanup to finish.

* Run Ewido:
  • Click on scanner
  • Click Complete System Scan and the scan will begin.
  • During the scan it will prompt you to clean files, click OK
  • When the scan is finished, look at the bottom of the screen and click the Save report button.
  • Save the report to your desktop

* Go to Control Panel > Internet Options. Click on the Programs tab then click the "Reset Web Settings" button. Click Apply then OK.

* Next go to Control Panel > Display. Click on the "Desktop" tab then click the "Customize Desktop" button. Click on the "Web" tab. Under "Web Pages" you should see an entry checked called something like "Security info" or similar. If it is there, select that entry and click the "Delete" button. Click OK then Apply and OK.

* Restart back into Windows normally now.

* Run ActiveScan online virus scan here

When the scan is finished, save the results from the scan!

SmitRem creates a log file with the results of it's fix in C:\smitfiles.txt. Go to your C drive and locate the smitfiles.txt file. Copy and paste the contents of the smitfiles.txt file in your next reply here along with a new HiJackThis log and the results from ActiveScan

noriel

noriel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I went through the process. Took almost 3 hrs but seems to be worth it. Here are the prints from smitfile and Hijack This. My system doesn't seem to be able to download the ActiveScan. I need a higher version of MSExplorer.

So far so good - no system error pop-ups. I hope it stays that way. You are good! My desktop background is blue though?.

smitRem © log file
version 2.8

by noahdfear

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
The current date is: 18-Mar-2006
The current time is: 10:26:29.06

Running from
C:\Documents and Settings\Sterling\Desktop\smitRem

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pre-run SharedTask Export

(GetSTS.exe) SharedTaskScheduler exporter by Lawrence Abrams (Grinler)
Copyright© 2006 BleepingComputer.com

Registry Pseudo-Format Mode (Not a valid reg file):

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\SharedTaskScheduler]
"{438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1}"="Browseui preloader"
"{8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030}"="Component Categories cache daemon"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1}\InProcServer32]
@="%SystemRoot%\System32\browseui.dll"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030}\InProcServer32]

checking for ShudderLTD key

ShudderLTD key not present!

checking for PSGuard.com key

PSGuard.com key not present!

checking for WinHound.com key

WinHound.com key not present!

spyaxe uninstaller NOT present
Winhound uninstaller NOT present
SpywareStrike uninstaller NOT present

Existing Pre-run Files

~~~ Program Files ~~~

~~~ Shortcuts ~~~

Online Security Guide.url
Security Troubleshooting.url

~~~ Favorites ~~~

Antivirus Test Online.url

~~~ system32 folder ~~~

1024 dir
msvol.tlb
ld****.tmp
mssearchnet.exe
ncompat.tlb
nvctrl.exe
hp***.tmp

~~~ Icons in System32 ~~~

ts.ico
ot.ico

~~~ Windows directory ~~~

~~~ Drive root ~~~

~~~ Miscellaneous Files/folders ~~~

Command Line Process Viewer/Killer/Suspender for Windows NT/2000/XP V2.03
Copyright© 2002-2003 [email protected]
Killing PID 992 'explorer.exe'
Killing PID 992 'explorer.exe'

Starting registry repairs

Registry repairs complete

SharedTask Export after registry fix

(GetSTS.exe) SharedTaskScheduler exporter by Lawrence Abrams (Grinler)
Copyright© 2006 BleepingComputer.com

Registry Pseudo-Format Mode (Not a valid reg file):

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\SharedTaskScheduler]
"{438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1}"="Browseui preloader"
"{8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030}"="Component Categories cache daemon"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1}\InProcServer32]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030}\InProcServer32]

Deleting files

Remaining Post-run Files

~~~ Program Files ~~~

~~~ Shortcuts ~~~

~~~ Favorites ~~~

~~~ system32 folder ~~~

~~~ Icons in System32 ~~~

~~~ Windows directory ~~~

~~~ Drive root ~~~

~~~ Miscellaneous Files/folders ~~~

~~~ Wininet.dll ~~~

CLEAN! :tazz:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:31:39, on 18-Mar-2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe

Flrman1

Flrman1

Malware Assassin

• Retired Staff
  • 6,596 posts
What happened when you tried to run activescan?

noriel

noriel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
When I click to Scan PC, a window tells me "Browser not supported". It says I require the browser Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or later.

Flrman1

Flrman1

Malware Assassin

• Retired Staff
  • 6,596 posts
Are you using Internet Explorer when you try the scan or are you trying to run it with another browser? You have to do it with Internet Explorer.

noriel

noriel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I use Firefox. Is there a program (scan) to substitute? I see 0 repeat of the malware that was previously affecting my system.

Flrman1

Flrman1

Malware Assassin

• Retired Staff
  • 6,596 posts
You still have Internet Explorer whether it is your browser of choice or not. You need to go ahead and use IE to do the scan please.

Advertisements

noriel

noriel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I ran IE. I have Avast Antivirus and it rejected the download of ActiveScan.

Flrman1

Flrman1

Malware Assassin

• Retired Staff
  • 6,596 posts
Try this one:

Run Kaspersky online virus scan here.

When given the option, choose the "Extended database" for the scan.

When the scan is finished, Save the results from the scan!

Post a new HiJackThis log along with the results from Kaspersky scan

noriel

noriel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I click on the "Kapersky On-line scanner" button and the privacy statement is blocked by a window that wants me to download the Kapersky Personal Suite.

Flrman1

Flrman1

Malware Assassin

• Retired Staff
  • 6,596 posts
* Go here and do an online virus scan. Choose "Complete Scan" and select all drives to scan.

When the scan is finished, anything that it cannot clean have it delete it.

Post a new HiJackThis log and report back what the Housecall scan found.

noriel

noriel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I can get to download window but I can't semm to go further than that. I have Avast Antivirus. Want me to run that?