Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless network, quick question

• Please log in to reply

DannyPhilly

DannyPhilly

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
OK this is the scenario:My school provides us with a pretty fast wireless internet, I live in an apt on campus, and we can get the wireless signal really good in our living room/dining room, but in our bedrooms(where the computers are), we dont get them at all. My question is, what can I buy that can grab the signal and retransmit it into our room? does such a device exist? or would I be better off buying a better wireless adapter? All suggestions welcome.

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I take it you are trying to connect on a laptop.

You can get wireless PCMIA cards for laptops, which have an external aerial, which can be removed for when you are closer to the access point. And yes, there is such a device that continues the signal, if you give me a while to look (I'm busy fixing peoples computers atm) I will find you one, though I have forgot the name. I will get back to you ASAP.

DannyPhilly

DannyPhilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
good call, although the funny thing is it USED to be a laptop, I just built my own desktop, and since its pretty much locked in my bedroom, I need something that could reach it into my bedroom. When I had my laptop I simply could bring it out into the den and use it there, but now I need a solution since I cant do the same with my desktop, Thanks for responding so fast .:tazz:

Jmody

Jmody

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
SuperSam, Could you PM me the information on the device that continues the wireless signal. Im having the same trouble with my Landlords wireless signal (I have permission to use it). I live downstairs, and I dont get more than a bar of service.