Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with overclocking

• Please log in to reply

runmaster

runmaster

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I have an intel pentium III 733 MHz processor and I want to give it a very small nudge by overclocking it
( not alot, just a little )
The problem is that when I'm in BIOS, the processor section is in grey, meaning it can't be selected for changes whilst the rest of the menus are in blue meaning they can be altered.
Any ideas on how to get around this so I can give the old girl a bit of a push ?
I know what the consequences of messing with this too much can be, I know several ways to reset the defaults but I really would like to do this.

Thankyou for your time.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The intel processors are locked in the processor so all you can really do is adjust the frontside bus to overclock. AMD's processors of that time were popular because the processor stepping could be changed. Be careful of clocking the fsb because it affects the memory and video card also.

SRX660

runmaster

runmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ahhh, I was afraid of this.
adjusting the front side bus is a new one to me, can you give me a quick shake down and also, details on how it affects the other systems such as the video card etc ?
Thanks heaps.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Some motherboard bios will let you adjust the FSB. There are some that don't. You will have to check your bios to see if you can. If so you can adjust your FSB from 100 MHZ to 105, maybe 110, although a lot of MB's adjust 1 mhz at a time up to 10 or 15 over standard. If you can up the bus by 10 your processor would be running at 770 instead of 700. The problem is that by adjust the bus you also adjust the memory and video bus speeds. Say you adjust your fsb to 110. Your mamory also adjusts to 110 MHZ and some memory will fail to work properly with the increase. They are just not meant to run any faster. Some brands work better at higher bus speeds than others.

Lets say you have a 4x AGP slot. It really runs at 66mhz because most MB's set the AGP mhz to 2/3 of the fsb. you increase your fsb to 110 mhz and your AGP slot is running at 74 mhz. If the video card does not like that speed you will get crashes and lockups, which will also happen with the memory.

Some Mb's will let you adjust the ratio down for the memory and video speeds which will let you overclock. Others wil not let you change them so you are stuck trying a speed and seeing if you get any lockups.

SRX660

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Hey, I wanna OC my P4 2.8GHz Processor. Any ideas or help?

Edited by Casheti, 12 April 2006 - 11:03 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you want help with a problem start a new topic, there is so much information on overclocking on the net it will make your head hurt you just need to look for it.