Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP repair

• Please log in to reply

bluiz1997

bluiz1997

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I tried to run a windows xp repair. I didn't get the "Welcome to Setup" screen as in the tutorial section. After loading files, the "Windows XP Professional Setup" screen with three options listed below is displayed.

*To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER.
*To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C.
*To delete the selected partition, press D.

I dont have the option to repair. Do I continue the set up? If so will I lose all of my files. The only files I care about are my music data files. I can reload eveything else. Thanks

Advertisements

gronka

gronka

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
When this happens the most likely cause is that you are using a Cd that contains a different OS than what is currently installed on your computer system. Is this your original? You cannot do a repair of XP home with an XP pro cd and vice versa. If you have Windows Media center it is actually Pro. If you are using your original disk.. then no you will not be able to repair. Best bet is a parallel installation of windows to backup your data if you are unable to do so now then format and reinstall.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi bluiz1997...

Might I ask why you were running the repair installation? The repair feature is not available on many OEM Recovery CD's.

There may be other options available to you, but without knowing the nature of the problem, it's pretty hard to tell.

wannabe1

bluiz1997

bluiz1997

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
My computer malfunctioned and shut down. When I turned it back on I turned on to the blue deadly screen. The computer would not allow me to start in safe mode or return to the last safe configuration so I put in the operating system CD. Then I followed the directions and this is what I came up with. It does not give me the option to repair. Also when trying to reboot my computer now I have a system32\drivers\isapnp.sys failure. I followed the windows instructions in the recovery console and this did not fix the problem as it said the file was unable to be found. I dont mind reloading everything but I was stupid and did not do a recent backup of my music files which is all I am concerned about. Thanks for any advice

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a command prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

bluiz1997

bluiz1997

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
How would I do a parallel installation of windows?? Do I do that with the operating system CD in. I am using the CD that came with the computer. I bought it new at bestbuy so it appears that it is the right CD. I am running Windows XP Home edition and that is what it says oin the CD

bluiz1997

bluiz1997

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
It was not allowing me to go into safe mode

gronka

gronka

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
did you try safe mode with comand prompt? it is different than safe mode or safemode w/ networking. If you cant get in then follow the link www.windowsreinstall.com select your operating system and click the link for parallel install. it will show screen shots of every step

bluiz1997

bluiz1997

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks I am setting up parallel installation now! It looks like it is working fine.

bluiz1997

bluiz1997

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
OK I set up a parallel however now...I am not able to restart my computer on either of the installations because the error is still coming up.

It says that the following file is missing or corrupt: System32\drivers\isapnp.sys. You can repair by starting windows setup.

This is the same message that came up which is the reason that I had to do the parallel installation. Now the new parallel installation will allow my to go in and repair with the first option in which I press to "To set up windows XP. I am then able to press the repair button however I was unable to do this with the original installation. I tried to repair and it just started to reinstall again like it did with the parallel installation.

I also tried the recovery consle method which was explained in the windows help guide but again it is allowing my to rename but no tthe final expand command as it is telling me that the file is not found.

I have tried just about everything. I still cannot get into any safe mode. Please help

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The repair does look just like the installation...it just replaces the system files in that Windows Directory. If you can repair the new installation, we can try to recover the files you need and then remove the original installation.

Give the Repair another shot...

wannabe1

bluiz1997

bluiz1997

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks I am trying once again

bluiz1997

bluiz1997

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok so I tried to repair the original windows version and the paralleled copy and I get the same thing when I try to start up either.

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
system32\drivers\isapnp.sys

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is the RAM Memory OK

Did you already run this

Windows XP

To replace the Isapnp.sys file in Windows XP, follow these steps:

1. Start the computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.

2. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to start Recovery Console.

3. If you have a dual-boot or a multiple-boot computer, type the number that corresponds to your Windows XP installation when you are prompted to select the Windows installation to log on to, and then press ENTER.

4. When you are prompted for the Administrator password, type the password, and then press ENTER.

Note If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

5. At the C:\Windows prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

ren c:\windows\system32\drivers\isapnp.sys isapnp.old

Note The steps in this article assume that you installed Windows XP to the C: drive. The actual location of your Windows installation may vary.

6. At the C:\Windows prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

expand cd-romdrive:\i386\isapnp.sy_ c:\windows\system32\drivers\isapnp.sys

For example, type:

expand d:\i386\isapnp.sy_ c:\windows\system32\drivers

7. After the file is successfully expanded, type exit, and then press ENTER to exit Recovery Console.

8. Restart the computer.

bluiz1997

bluiz1997

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yes but it would not allow me to expand. It says the file is not found