Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

16 bit Windows/MS-DOS Subsystem Errors

• Please log in to reply

Mriceguy

Mriceguy

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi there,

I have been experiencing terrible error messages such as these:
16 bit Windows Subsystem. An installable Virtual Device Driver failed Dll initialization.
16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem. An installable Virtual Device Driver failed Dll initialization.
(when installing the Toshiba Power Saver driver & when trying to run ms-dos programs.)

And when I followed Microsoft's guide to fixing config.nt, autoexec.nt &command.com (the suspected culprits): http://support.micro...kb/324767/en-us , I seemed to have even more problems! :) (Now the ms-dos programs won't even run when clicking Ignore!)

Could you please help me? :tazz:

Much appreciated,
Michael (Mriceguy)
:)

Edited by Mriceguy, 20 March 2006 - 06:40 AM.

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
See if any of the below methods will do it :whistling:

1. Go to My Computer->Tools->Folder Option->View and check 'Show hidden files and folders' and uncheck 'Hide protected operating system files'. Go to your c: drive. Right click on the boot.ini file and go to Properties. Then double click on the boot.ini file to open it. Change the line that says /NoExecute=OptIn and change it to /NoExecute=AlwaysOff. Now save the file and close it.

2. You can disable Dr. Watson by right-clicking My Computer and select Properties. Go to Advanced tab->Startup and Recovery and click Settings. Click the drop-down box next to 'Write debugging information' and select none.

3. Go to Start->Run and type in regedit and hit OK. Go to File->Export and save the registry somewhere as a backup. Go back to the Registry Editor and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug. Double click on 'Auto' (in the right pane) and modify the value to 0.

Mriceguy

Mriceguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi there greyknight17,

thanks for your post. I'm sorry I haven't replied lately as I've been away camping! Before I try out any of your suggested methods, would you mind answering a couple of my queries?

Method 1:
I know the Boot.ini file is vital to Windows starting up properly and I would just like to know what editing it to AlwaysOff will do.

Method 2:
What/Who is Dr. Watson?

Method 3:
Similar to my method 1 query, what will changing the registry AeDebug entry do to my computer?

Thanks for your time and effort. :whistling:

Cheers,
Michael (Mriceguy)

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
1. Turning it off should disable DEP which is probably causing this error.

2. Dr. Watson is just a error reporting tool. See here.

3. Read here.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Here's a link for your original problem. I don't know if it's going to solve your problem or not. It's another option for you to look over:

http://www.5starsupp...xp-faq/1-15.htm

Take a look at xp_fix.exe on this link:

http://www.visualtour.com/downloads/

Mriceguy

Mriceguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi guys,

I tried all of your methods but they don't seem to work!

greyknight17, I followed each of your steps but nothing seems to have changed. I still can't run dos programs.

macten, the ms-dos method asks what program to open each file with and xp_fix.exe doesn't seemed to have helped (i might have already tried it before also).

Thanks again.

Have I lost? :whistling:
Michael (Mriceguy)