Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

data transfer from window's 98 to 2000 home computer

• Please log in to reply

redman1118

redman1118

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm replacing an old system running window's 98 that now barely runs (even locks up trying to use defrag) with new system running window's 2000, probably the home edition.

1) Can I transfer wanted files from the old to new computer with just a data transfer cable as the operating system will be different between the systems?
2) I have a window's 98 data transfer cable; will it work transferring data to the new cpu? It's an older
cable and the package label just say's it's for Window's 98 data transfer as it predates Window's 2000
Computer store clerk no help on above though they'll do transfer for me for a price. But part of files to be transferred are financial info etc. I don't want others to have access to.

3) Can you direct me to website that explain's setting up the data transfer process
4) Opinion(s) on INTEL versus AMD processor? I haven't bought the new system yet

Thanks in advance
Steve

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there are a few ways to transfer data between machines

#1 if you've got a cd burner and a buttload of cds you can do it that wawy

#2 y our direct connect cable (which should work...i'm assuming it's a serial cable)...
Here’s how to connect two computers using the Direct Cable Connection wizard:
in 98-

Click the Start button, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to Communications, and then click Direct Cable Connection.
When the Direct Cable Connection wizard starts, simply follow the direction on your screen.
Follow steps 1 and 2, above, to run the wizard on the other connected computer.

on 2000
http://www.microsoft...conn_direct.htm
you would want 2000 to be the guest not the host

#3 you could take the HD out of the 98 machine and hook it up to the new machine as a slave and transfer the files over that way

also..no such thing as 2000 home..you would be getting 2000 pro....any reasons why you don't want to go with xp on the new system?

redman1118

redman1118

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi
Thanks for the quick reply
..... either pro (which I use and like - this is mom's old comuter) or XP will work fine. I expect we'll buy a bundled system so it'll depend which is loaded on whatever system she likes. That also leads to my ? about the AMD versus Intel processors as 90% of the big box systems in the store ad's are AMD and for comparable system spec's the Intel processor system's are more $'s.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
most people here will tell you to go with amd...i've got not loyalties so i usually go with price....for just a simple home internet surfer/word processor....the price is where you want to look at....ther are differences between the procs...and i'm sure someone will chime in with those differences...but i still hold my belief that for a standard home user you wont notice much of a difference between comparable processor leves...if you do alot of gaming or other labor intensive stuff...then you have to take into account all the differences between the procs.