Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

mp3/computer connection issues

• Please log in to reply

PinkCherry

PinkCherry

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hi~ :)

i've just recently gotten an mp3 player and it comes with a disc called... "audio player" lol. it says it's for Windows 98/98E User Only, and I have Windows XP. At the bottom of the disc, it says in a warning box, :

"- Please select "FAT or Fat16" to format the device under Win 98/98E/ME/2000/XP
- If you accidentally choose "FAT 32", please try to recover the device by choosing "FAT or Fat16" to format it under Win 98/98E/ME/2000/XP
- This driver is for Win 98/98E user only"

Can anyone help me please? Is it possible at all for the disc to work on my computer? Sorry, I don't understand what the warning box meant... Please help me if anyone understands this! :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what kind of mp3 player is this?

PinkCherry

PinkCherry

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
That's the problem... I'm not too sure lol. It's by QPS and it uses SD/MMC but that's all I know...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if it's using an SD memeory card...what they are talking about with the formatting is when you put the card into your card reader (assuming you have a card reader) you would want to open up my computer and find the card there...(should be listed as removable media) right click it and choose format...then choose fat16 as the file system to format it with...then you would just need to drag your music files over to that card to put the music on it...you shouldn't need their probably substandard software at all

PinkCherry

PinkCherry

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
well... it says it uses a SD/MMC card thing... but.. it doesn't actually come with an external one but on the packaging it said SD included, so i'm thinking that it's already part of the mp3 and the slot is just for extra memory. It uses USB to connect to the computer, but the problem is when i plug it in, and try to open it from "my computer" it doesn't work for some reason. it keeps saying to insert something into USB when it's already plugged in... and i'm pretty sure it should be working because the MP3 screen lights up and says PC. lol. and i dont have card reader either... so that's a problem too... so... i think the program on the cd is what's needed to upload things onto the mp3... but im not too sure how to format it. do you think you'd be able to help me with it? thank you so much!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if it said SD included then they meant a card...they would have said something about internal memory if it came with something internal..so either you threw away the sd card with the box..or they didn't stick the sucker in there...even when connecting the device via usb..you still shouldnt need their software

PinkCherry

PinkCherry

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
really? i still have the box it came in... but it only has in there... headphones, 1x AAA battery, the USB to connect to computer with, the CD, the actual MP3 itself, and that's it... in the user's manual/guide it came with says that you must use the CD to upload... so you have to upload via the CD program... that's why im so lost lol

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
complete sillyness...

can you get me the make and model number off the box? or if you can find an FCC number

PinkCherry

PinkCherry

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
it doesn't have any of them on there lol... im starting to think that there's something seriously dodge about this mp3... :tazz: hm... it says it's by QPS... that's the only thing i can pick up lol... nothing else. and there's this strange number at the bottom of the CD... "BP10MPS1D001"

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i get absolutely no info on any of that...either qps or whatever that number is.... on the side of the box is there a listing of the system requirements? usually the make and model and FCC number is written really small there...or there's a sticker or something with FCC and then a number...if not alot of times they'll put this number on a sticker underneath the batteries

PinkCherry

PinkCherry

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hm... i just saw something lol... it says... (on the back of the box)

- USB Flash Drive: USB1.1
- MP3
- Support SD/MMC Card
- Language Education
- Pre-Play
- Battery Life: 10 Hours, AAAx1
- OS Support:
No Driver needed for Windows2000/ME/XP/MAc9.0 above
Driver needed for Windows98/98E
**Strongly suggested to install Application Software under all OS**

Do you understand any of that? lol...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i do...means taht you shouldn't need a driver or their software...all you should have to do is plug the sucker in and it should detect it....