Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Change default action for hard drive folder under My Computer

• Please log in to reply

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello everyone,

Not often do I have a basic Windows XP question stump me, but this is one of them. A co-worker asked me how to change the default action when double-clicking on the hard drive folder icons under My Computer with Windows XP. You can see the default action by right-clicking and seeing the top bolded option on the context menu, but how does one change this? He states after running a virus check, it changed the default action from "Open" to "Search".

Any ideas where one changes this option? I found a free program for working with right-click contect menus called "Mmm" at http://www.hace.us-inc.com/mmm.shtml that might do the trick, but wanted to see if there was a windows setting solution.

Thanks for any ideas or tips,

Cheers,
Tom

Advertisements