Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't access backup files after recovery

• Please log in to reply

Ally Clark

Ally Clark

• Pip
  • 9 posts
As it says on the tin basically.

I had problems tonight so I decided to do a full recovery (Not a destructive one). Everything saved to the My Backup folder fine.

However on re-installing windows and starting new accounts (with the same names as last time) I think has cause a problem because I can enter the "My Backup" folder but I cannot access any of the user account folders (which contain stuff I'd be gutted to lose). It just says access is denied. Even on an admin account.

I know everything is still there because I can tell by the amount of space left on my drive.

Sorry for posting this twice, only relised it'd be better in here than hardware.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Ally Clark

You need to take ownership of the files in order to get them back. See this Microsoft Article.

wannabe1

Ally Clark

Ally Clark

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It says this on Microsoft...

1. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).

But when I right click> Properties all I get is the general, sharing and cutsomize tab.

Ally Clark

Ally Clark

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Scrub that. Stupid me, I didn't read correcty and didn't know I had to be in safe mode.

Ahhh everything is back, my mind's at ease.

Thank you very much for your help, I wouldn't have had aclue it had anything to do with ownership. :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad I could help, Ally Clark... :tazz:

wannabe1