Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help

• Please log in to reply

Mayor

Mayor

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Had a friend refer me to this site! I heard that You guys are the best!
I have a problem that I can’t figure out. Not sure if it is a virus or ad wear.
I know little about how to fix virus and how to explain my problem.
Three days ago I came home to my computer and noticed that my weather bug was popped up. I close the window out and I got a pop up that said I need to go to windows update and get a fix for a virus found on my computer. I ignored the pop up and closed the widow out by clinking on the X. At that time my internet explorer popped up with what looked like a official Microsoft windows update site. I closed that widow out by clinking on the X.

My computer started running very slow and locking up a lot. I have Norton 2006, GAINT Antispywear and Spybot Search and Destroy. I updated them all and ran the scans. Norton picked up nothing, Giant picked up nothing, Spybot picked up about 7 malicious spy wears and erased them. I rebooted the computer.
When it started back up it was still running slow and the pop ups were still coming. I then went to the Microsoft Antispyware Beta site and ran that program. It found about 6 viruses and deleted them. The funny part was as that program was running and found a virus; Norton would pop up say it found the same virus. I restarted the computer and it seams to be running fine BUT I still get the pop ups for the same thing that caused the problem.
I have ran all the anti virus and spywear programs again but they all say my computer is free of viruses and spywear.
If I click on any program no matter what it is I get a pop up. Last night I got a pop up for PartyPoker.

I have a cable modem, HP 1 year old running on XP with the service pack 2 installed. What have I done wrong????

Could anyone help me? I know very little on how to fix virus problem. I always let Norton fix problems for me. We have never had a problem before. :tazz:
DENNY

Edited by Mayor, 21 March 2006 - 11:15 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

Mayor

Mayor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I can't that you enough!!! I ran all the things you have listed and my computer is running great! :tazz:
The last thing I did was run the Panda Active scan.

It listed 6 problems. They are as follows. Are these a problem or are they normal?

Incident Status Location

Adware:adware/dloader Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\msblank.html
Adware:adware/winprotect Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\HELP\SPAlert.chm
Potentially unwanted tool:Application/Processor Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\Desktop\smitRem\Process.exe
Potentially unwanted tool:Application/Processor Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\Desktop\smitRem.exe[Process.exe]
Potentially unwanted tool:Application/KillApp.B Not disinfected C:\hp\bin\KillIt.exe
Spyware:Spyware/Virtumonde Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\system32\vturq.dll

gronka

gronka

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
did you do all this in safe mode? thats where most of the tools do their best work. safe mode w/o networking. make sure your programs are updates first.

Mayor

Mayor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

did you do all this in safe mode? thats where most of the tools do their best work. safe mode w/o networking. make sure your programs are updates first.

Yes I did. It was all updated and them I went into safe mode and ran all the programs.
I got to tell you that this computer hasn't worked this good since we bought it! :tazz:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
That Virtumonde and SmitRem are tricky infections. It would be best if you completely removed them. In order to make sure they are removed accurately and completely, please post in the Malware forum so you can receive expert help from a Malware expert. Post a HijackThis log there.

Keep in mind, the malware forum is very busy and can take up to 5 days to receive a reply. There is a special forum called The Waiting Room if you've been waiting for 3 or more days. You can put a link to your topic & a short description of your problem and someone will get with you soon.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 21 March 2006 - 05:42 PM.

Mayor

Mayor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I can't thank you guys enough! I made the post. :tazz:
Denny