Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Anyone else overclocked XFX 6800GS XXX Edition?

• Please log in to reply

harvey_mistry

harvey_mistry

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I used the coolbits registry thing to unlock the overclock options. I then saw the Detect Optimal Frequencies option so I did this; it overclocked the core clock from 485mhz to 533mhz and the memory clock from 1.1ghz to 1.19ghz. Is this really a good idea since I've never overclocked the card before, I've heard you should gradually build up the amount you overclock, and also the card is factory overclocked from 425mhz and 1ghz.

Thanks

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well if its cool and stable you should be fine but you do usually do it step by step if you overclock manually, automatic overclocking software does this as well usually they just dont take there time about it. If you are nervous you can manually overclock to that setting from default testing it fully at every step.

Good cooling is probably the biggest issue.

harvey_mistry

harvey_mistry

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Is there anyway that I can check whether it is doing any damage to the card, its temperature is stable at 37 degrees C with the threshold at 125 degrees according to the program. Do you know anywhere in the UK where I can get some good cheap cooling; I need a 12cm fan and an exhaust fan, also have space for 4 8cm fans, any reccomendations as to what I should do? I don't have any fans other than the 2 on my PSU, 1 on my chipset, 1 on my processor and one on the graphics card?

Thanks

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well the you are seriously deficient in fans, i would probably not bother turning a system with no system fans on unless i was desperate.

I get most of anything i need from overclockers.co.uk, occasionally will go to someone else if they have cheaper shipping and its a small order. 125 is way to hot, shouldnt be above 90 and ideally you want it below 60 or even 50 with good cooling.

A pair of 120mm fans are the way to go if you have the space to mount them, once they are on and you still have bother, then an after market gfx cooler from Arcitc or zalman would be a good idea, something like a VF900 or i think you could fit an X1. Those would have the added bonus of being much quieter as well as cooler.

harvey_mistry

harvey_mistry

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The actual temperature of the fan is 37 but the threshold is 125. Without overclocking, the card was at 31 degrees but these temperatures are idle, don't know what it gets to during load and don't know how can I check unless I pause the game but then it wouldn't be accurate...

I can only have one 12cm fan in the case and if I added a gfx cooler would it void the warranty on the graphics card?

Thanks

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Depends on your warranty you would have to read it, it can though, well you can activate temp monitorin in most gfx overclocking tools and some system detection software does the full temp range monitoring.

You can also run benchmarking software in windows which will load the card to its max(eg 3dmark 05 or 06). So i would get that and run it to make sure the load temps are allright, but with no case fans they arent going to be great. If you can only get one 120mm get another 80mm but get a good quiet one not a cheapo as itll sound like a small aircraft engine at full speed.