Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Registry cleaners ? Are they really needed?

• Please log in to reply

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
There are many utilities out there that claim they will solve errors and crashes by cleaning out your registry, getting rid of all the broken entries in there. Is that really necessary? Do those broken entries really cause crashes and stability problems? I've seen theses cleaners cause more problems than they fix. Do we really want to trust them with correctly detremining that entry A is broken and leads nowhere and should be removed?

TIA

EMguy

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

There are many utilities out there that claim they will solve errors and crashes by cleaning out your registry, getting rid of all the broken entries in there. Is that really necessary?

I would say so, they really do fix errors in registry, but only at a certain extent. But every little bit counts. I remeber I was experinceing problems and low system prefomance, I got a registry cleaner and fixed up the probelm.

Do those broken entries really cause crashes and stability problems?

Depending on what the entry is, Yes. It can cause a few problems. For example (This is just an example, worse things can happen) if there is a entry missing for the uninstall then you will not be able to uninstall that specific program.

I've seen theses cleaners cause more problems than they fix.

Well, I guess it depends on what cleaner you use. I use CCleaner and Tune Up Utils for my registry problems.

Do we really want to trust them with correctly detremining that entry A is broken and leads nowhere and should be removed?

Well most registry cleaners show you the resualts before you want to remove them, so you can select which ones you want removed for yourself.

Well, it lands up to choice. And remeber the depinding on what cleaner you use makes a big difference.

Cool :whistling:

Edit: Here is an example of a harsh error, where a reg cleaner fixed the problem.

http://www.geekstogo...opic=104460&hl=

Edited by spike_hacker_inc, 25 March 2006 - 03:41 PM.

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Registry Cleaners do help to keep a system stable and from crashing.

I use CCleaner, ToniArts' EasyCleaner (never had a problem with this cleaner), and RegSeeker.

RegSeeker is very powerful and should be used with care. All these cleaners have a backup option in case one deletes the wrong registry values. By double clicking the backup deletions, they will be reinstalled into the registry.

Also, before I clean my registry, I always back it up with a program called "Erunt". Erunt is great and have had to restore my registry using Erunt on a couple of occasions.

Hope this helps.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Nah, I've seen people do serious damage with reg cleaners. If you have obsolete entries in your registry with XP, it doesn't matter. Nothing will be delayed because of it- since the comp isn't looking for them anyway, nothing to gum up the works. I would never tell a person who wasn't confident to run any reg cleaners, and i would always advise making complete back ups beforehand, even manually setting an SR point. I wdo not use any reg cleaners, and my comp is just as fast as it should be.

Johanna