Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Me shutdown/hangup problem

• Please log in to reply

mosqisr

mosqisr

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

I'm new to the forum. Recently I tried to open an attachment that contained the file mentioned in the topic description. Nothing happened but it seemed something was working in the background. After that my Windows Me would just hang up at the blank screen before shutdown.

After testing my startup items one by one, removing some programs (I thought my internet program has something to do with it) and uncheck unnecessary startup items, the shutdown now works. But once in a while it still hangs up, and I have to uncheck and recheck the startup items again. So it seems the problem is somewhere else. Also sometimes the system seems slow and says that it's waiting for some program to respond. I checked the C drive for file name in the topic with any lastname but couldn't find anything. I also searched the web and found only zupd02.exe listed as worm.

So next I tried hijackthis and below is the log file. (I recently removed netzero program and don't want to spybot or any other adware/spyware program yet if I don't have to)

Sorry if it's a little long and I would appreciate if it someone can tell me what I can fix.
Thanks.
mosqisr

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:55:07 PM, on 2/24/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v5.50 SP1 (5.50.4134.0100)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\ICSUPP95.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IRMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\INTERNAT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SOPHOS SWEEP\ICMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSFORMAT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\ANTISPYWARE\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX
O2 - BHO: X1IEHook Class - {52706EF7-D7A2-49AD-A615-E903858CF284} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\QSACC\X1IEBHO.DLL (file missing)
O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,-1@1033,&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfigReminder] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\msconfig.exe /reminder
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IrMon] irmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [internat.exe] internat.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Sweep95] "C:\Program Files\Sophos SWEEP\SETUP.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InterCheckMonitor] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\SOPHOS SWEEP\ICMON.EXE" -minimised
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Sweep95] C:\Program Files\Sophos SWEEP\ICLOAD95.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [sysformat] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\sysformat.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Display All Images with Full Quality - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\QSACC\appres.dll/228
O8 - Extra context menu item: Display Image with Full Quality - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\QSACC\appres.dll/227
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://by101fd.bay10...es/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (ZoneIntro Class) - http://zone.msn.com/...ro.cab32846.cab

Advertisements

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Hi mosqisr and welcome.
If your still looking to resolve this issue,
Please check your current Anti Virus and run a full scan,

Also
Please run these two online scans. Make sure they are set to clean automatically:

TrendMicro's HouseCall
ActiveScan

You should try to delete any files that these scanners are unable to clean. Then let us know if its working better and what the scans found.

Then scan again with HijackThis and post another log.

Sorry for the late reply board has been busy lately

mosqisr

mosqisr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

Thanks for replying. I checked the system and found that sysformat.exe from the W32/Bagle worm was the problem. I had cleaned that up and now the windows shut down ok.

Will post the hijackthis log later. Thanks again.

mosqisr

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Thanks for updating us mosqisr

Be waiting for the updated log,
Don