Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard detects wrong memory settings?

• Please log in to reply

Darth_Hatter

Darth_Hatter

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hey, i have 2 512mb sticks of corsair xms ram. both are ddr400 200 Mhz but when i have both sticks in and it is going through post it says they are ddr333 133Mhz. why does this happen? if i put the sticks in individually they say they are ddr400 200Mhz each. is there a way with the msi k8n neo platinum motherboard to change the settings in the bios so that it will read properly?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Some motherboards want you to put the modules in memory slots 1 and 3, some in 2 and 4, some just in 1 and 2, in order to get the dual-channel support working. Read the manual.

Darth_Hatter

Darth_Hatter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
i did read the manual.....

i didnt know that you had to have dual channel memory to run two sticks at full specs, is that true?

doesnt make sense that you need to have dual channel capabilities to run two sticks of ddr400 200Mhz at that.

if that is the case, why?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You do not need to be running dual channel in order to have 2 sticks of ram at full spec. In fact, your motherboard doesn't even support dual channel.

I do however know what the problem probably is. Can you tell me if the ram sticks are double sided or single sided please? (i.e do they have chips mounted on both sides or just on one side?)

Darth_Hatter

Darth_Hatter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
CMX512-3200C2PT is the ram that i have. im thinking its double sided, but it is kinda hard to tell since there is the heat spreader on it.

I am well aware of the fact that my mobo doesnt support dual channel, but thanks for your concern. it really means a lot to me.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Assuming the ram is double sided then, you need to install it in slots marked 1 & 2 (The two nearest the cpu socket). If you insert two sticks of double sided DDR400 in any other slots, the system will only recognise it as DDR333 (according to MSI). Likewise, your system won't support 3 sticks of DDR400 at 400MHz either.

Darth_Hatter

Darth_Hatter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
alrighty, thanks. ill give it a shot