Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange slowdown/stuttering with my laptop

• Please log in to reply

Shadow Cloud

Shadow Cloud

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Specs if it matters
Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop
1.5 ghz
512 MB RAM
128 MB ATI Radeon
Windows XP Service Pack 2

Recently on occassion, my laptop will start getting these random slowdowns/stutterings. It is characterized by the mouse cursor acting jumpy or actual slowdown when I'm watching a video or playing a game. After a couple of minutes pass, the slowdowns seem to be gone. However, sometimes they do return later on an arbitrary notice. The slowdowns seem to occur most of the time when I open a program such as MS word, winamp, or playing a game such as Guild Wars. As I mentioned before, the slowdowns will cease after some time is spent with the program opened.

I have used spybot, ad aware, McAfee virus scan, disk defragment, and disk space clean up. I have also used registry mechanic and other optimizing programs, but the problem is still prevailent. Any suggestions to remedy this problem?

Edited by Shadow Cloud, 22 March 2006 - 12:07 PM.

Advertisements

Shadow Cloud

Shadow Cloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Forgot to mention that start up is noticablely slower than it used to be too.

joe_the_clue-less

joe_the_clue-less

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Edited by joe_the_clue-less, 24 March 2006 - 06:18 PM.

Shadow Cloud

Shadow Cloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Guess I have everyone stumped or something...

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Its not a bad idea to re-install your OS every now and again, I had a similar problem with my old DELL. It had win2k on it, ran great for years but eventually it got the slowdown prob. also. So I installed winXP, all my problems went away. Also, if youre comfortable with it, crack the case and clean out the dustbunnies. That always helps, itll keep everyting cooler.
-Pete.

Shadow Cloud

Shadow Cloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Are you sure? My laptop won't turn one years old until next month. Besides, reinstalling windows means I would lose everything.