Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ability to save a phone conversation to a computer

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I work for a market research company that conducts interviews over the telephone, and there are times when we have to tape a phone interview and send it to our clients. Well, one of our clients is being difficult, and rather then sending them a tape, they want us to save the conversation to an audio file and post it to their FTP.

What would I need to save both sides of the conversation (our end and the person on the other side of the line) to an audio file? Is there hardware out there that will connect a phone to an audio card or something like this? And software that I could use to save the conversation?

Thanks,
mike.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how do you save the conversations to tape? what device do you use for that?

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
We have these devices that connect the phone receiver to a small tape recorder. The devices then have a small switch on them that you can flip if you want the tape to start recording. I was hoping there would be something similar that we could plug into a computer. But then we would need software to work with it as well.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...once you have the convo on tape....you can plug an audio jack from the tape player to the mic port on y our computer...open up sound recorder...press the record button...then press the play button on the tape playback...that will recorde the sound from the tape to a wav file on the computer

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Brilliant! So simple, and yet it never even occurred to me. Thanks!

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You could also do that directly if the device that connects to the tape recorder is the miniplug. Also, there are mp3 recorders which record digitally instead of tape and the files are pretty small and easy to deal with, as long as you don't use too high of recording rate, since the phone bandwidth is small (300-3000hz), you don't need much.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Both Kemasa and Dsenette suggestions work. I've just run into one problem, however. Sound Recorder, at least on my machine, will record upto only 60 seconds of audio. And some of these interviews run 10 or 20 minutes. Is something else I can use to record longer?

thanks again,
mike.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.nch.com.a...CFSo4LAodeR7PNg you could check out a few of those