Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overclock limit

• Please log in to reply

Doomed_to_a_pathetic_computer

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
I am about to try to overclock my cpu, it's an old Willamette (1.3 Ghz) Pentium 4. I don't want to go too far because I don't want to fry my processor or do any major damage because I won't be able to afford a new CPU for a while (Curse my 15 year old limitations of money-earning! >_<). I might set up a few dummy computers to try it out on (I collect various types of Pentium 1 CPUs and I have two motherboards to use them with)

Advertisements

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
You just overclock a bit and then you test it for stability. One program is prime. Be patient it takes a long time to test. Test it for a couple of hours.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Since the intel processors are speed locked the only way you can overclock is the front side bus. I would only overclock by 5% to start and see if the puter will even boot. Unfortunately even if you can over clock by 10% you will only have the speed of a 1.5 gig processor. This is not enough to bother overclocking. Better would be to buy as much RAM and you can. You may have the rdram in your computer so this would be expensive.

http://www.memorytek...products_id=401

This would still be the easist way to speed up your computer. heres some reading you should do on rdram.

http://www.rambus.co.../rdram_faq.aspx

SRX660

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
You must be thinking of a Pentium 3 or Celeron, I overclocked mine in BIOS, I overclocked it by changing the multiplier from 8 to 11, I'm going to turn it up a little each day, and once it stops starting, I'll turn it back down.