Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't load some pages, others are ok

• Please log in to reply

phillip_uk

phillip_uk

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am connected to internet through router and I am mainly using Firefox and IE (and Kerio Personal firewall, but both browsers are permited for TCP and UDP).
I had problems before with Hotmail. I just couldn't load the main login page (but MSN page was ok). Than after reinstalling my system it was working. Few days ago we changed router for new one and from that moment I couldn't load hotmail page again, ebay.co.uk as well and I was able to log on my other email accounts, but I could't send any email. But other pages were alright. When I try to connect to any of the mentioned sites it is just loading, showing a bit of progress or not at all and then I get message: connection time out, or server reset (same in Firefox and IE). And I did not change anything in my internet settings. But I tried it from my flatmate's computer and it was working.
Before we changed the router I set laptop for my other friend (and it was working all right) and after we changed router she had the same problem here in my place and at hers as well (so I am not shure if the proglem was in our new router).
My computer is all right know, my friend sorted that out, but I can't get in touch with him soon (He just told me that t is a long talk :tazz: ) and I need to sort my frend's laptop. And I have no idea, what was the problem (cookies, scripts, firewall, router???).
Thank for any help!

Regards

Phill

PS: on both computers there's XP system, Firefox and IE, and Java SE Runtime, Shockwave, Flash latest pluggins.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go.

Although this problem started just after getting that router, I'd like to collect some info about your computer:

Download and run WinAudit. Save the audit to your desktop. This will save three files. Take all three files and put them into a single zip (compressed) folder. Name the folder WinAudit. In order to protect the safety of your computer, do NOT attach the folder to a post here. Take that folder and send it to me through a PM (Private Message) instead, that way it is not available to the public.

In addition:

Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post. This log you will attach in a reply to me here, NOT through a PM (Private Message).

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 22 March 2006 - 05:07 PM.

phillip_uk

phillip_uk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, I am attaching hijackthis log, but I realy doubt I have any malware, I am checking my pc regularly and I recently reinstalled whole system, so I don't think there's any (but the log is done before reinstallation). BTW even after reinstallation I have the same problem :whistling: .

Attached Files

Edited by phillip_uk, 25 March 2006 - 02:00 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
You're right...no infections. And I don't see anything that catches my eye in the winaudit log.

Before we make any changes, please create a system restore point by going to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. Create a restore point for today. Call it "dial-a-fix"

Next, download Dial-a-fix from http://fileforum.bet...ll/1131569373/2

When you download it, double-click on it to extract all of its files. Then open the folder it creates. Double-click on the file called Dial-a-fix.

In the upper left corner, put a check next to Install Windows Script Host. In the middle right, put a check next to Fix SSL/HTTPS/Cryptsvc: and all of the other sub-boxes in that catagory. Now, at the bottom right, put a check next to ActiveX controls/codecs. Now click on GO.

Restart your computer and see if you can access those websites that won't come up.

If it doesn't work, go back to dial-a-fix, click on Tools, select Repair/Reinstall IE, and then click on GO. You will need your XP CD for this. Restart the computer after it is done fixing and try it again.

Let me know how it goes, and if the problem actually gets worse, go back to the restore point I had you create.

phillip_uk

phillip_uk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

thank you very much for your help, I tried all, but none of it worked. I even formated disk and reinstalled system again, still not working. I checked settings on router, but they are same for my laptop (which is alright) and friends laptop. I tried to load windows update (from tools menu in IE), it is not working as well. ??? I never ever had this problem! I thought if you reinstall system, everything should be alright. I am now scared to reinstall my system if needed, because of this :whistling: .
I checked IE settings and internet connection settings on both computers they are same (except IP address of course). I really have no idea, where's the problem.
All 3 computers in my house are working normaly, but my friends laptop isn't. And it's not in her place as well. I will try it tomorrow with both laptops in her place, if anyone of them is working properly.

BTW hers laptop is Fujitsu Siemens with Centrino 1.7, 2mb L2 cache, 512 RAM.

Regards

Phill

Edited by phillip_uk, 25 March 2006 - 07:08 PM.

phillip_uk

phillip_uk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I just found out that I can't get on microsoft website as well. From my laptop it is no problem, I just don't unterstand...

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Very strange problem indeed...

Take your problem to the Networking Forum and see what the experts there have to say.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 25 March 2006 - 10:21 PM.

phillip_uk

phillip_uk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you very much for all your help. I tried adsl modem instead of router and it was working alright, so it seems that my router is broken (it's the 3rd in one month!). But just don't understand why it wasn't working at my friends place, but there's rourter as well and I haven't tried it yet after reinstallation, so I will see later.
Anyway, thank you again, at least I know the laptop is ok and I learned more about checking registry :whistling:.

Regards

Phill