Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Programs Freezing

• Please log in to reply

Hutchie

Hutchie

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,

I would firstly just like to say, I think it is great that there are people willing to give up there spare time to help other people with there problems! Its Great! So thanks!

Now for my problem, I hope that someone can help me solve this problem.

For the last few months I have been battling with my computer. I have run spyware scanners, virus scanners and have not found anything. The problem is that the computer keeps freezing programs. For example when I try to run ad-aware, the program will freeze, so if I then hit Ctrl Alt Delete, I can see that it says the program is not responding. At that point I can then end the task, and the computer will then work fine again. However, if i leave the computer to run the program, the program will eventually start to respond again. Weird?!?! Also weird is that it always stops at about the same point in the scan. Other programs it does it to are spybot search and destroy, whenever i would access files in the "my computer" folder and today it was freezing when using internet explorer. Also, I can tell the computer is running slower then it use to. One other thing that it will do is when you turn it on, and it is loading the desktop, it will freeze to, I can move the mouse around, but cannot click start or anything, to fix it i hit Ctrl Alt Delete and log user off.

Hope this makes sense, and I hope that someone can help me!!

Thanks so much!
Chris

P.S. - I attached my HijackThis log.

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Hello Hutchie,

Welcome to Geeks To Go, I am Sam.

I see your system is a Dell Dimension 8300, with Pentium 4 3Ghz and 1GB ram. Some pre-built desktops come with processor monitoring software, of which we could have used to look at your processor's heat. Check if you have any (if you know what you are looking for), otherwise you could try a good program I use to monitor my processor's heat: Speedfan *This is a direct link to the file. I just checked the file with Microsoft Windows Defender, and Anti Spyware, it is clean.

When the processor becomes too hot it starts to work slower, which could be the cause in this case. If your system is old it is likely to be dusty, it could be causing a blockage in the heatsink.

Also, I would need to know if you have installed any new hardware or software recently.

If you find anything, post here, if I dont get here by tomorrow, PM me :tazz: (got school 8:30am to 4:00pm).

Edited by SuperSam, 22 March 2006 - 06:42 PM.

Hutchie

Hutchie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for being so speedy Sam!

I installed the program SpeedFan, and under the readings tab, in the window, it says that it is "unable to use I/O" I dont know what that means. And as for adding new programs since the problem has started I can only think of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation that one of my sisters got for Christmas. As for the computer itself it, it is only 2 years old as of January 2. Let me list the specs best I can:

Pentium 4 w/HT 3.0GHZ
1.00GB RAM
120 GB Hard Drive (63 GB Free)
Radeon Pro 9800 Series 128 mb Video Card
SoundBlaster Audigy 2 sound card

If I you need more specific specs, or any other information let me know!
Thanks,
Chris

Hutchie

Hutchie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello again,

I just tried to uninstall speed fan and it wont let me, it says "NSIS Error" - Error Launching Installer. Since the program wasnt working I though I would get rid of it but can't. Stupid technology!!! :tazz: What do we do next Sam?

Chris

Edited by Hutchie, 22 March 2006 - 08:25 PM.

doire

doire

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Have you tried to uninstall it in SAFE MODE?

Hutchie

Hutchie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks Doire for you idea! I never thought of trying it in safe mode and it worked!! However, I am still having the same problem, my computer is still freezing programs, but alot more frequently. If anyone has an idea to this problem it would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
Chris

Edited by Hutchie, 24 March 2006 - 07:45 PM.