Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

volcar

volcar

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
I have procured an Western Digital WD800BB 80GB Hard Drive to replace my existing Quantum Fireball LM30 30GB Drive. Consequently, I am using this medium to solicit advice, suggestion & comments on what is the easiest & safest way to transfer all the data from my old drive to the new one. It should be noted that I intend to completely remove the existing 30GB Drive & make the new 80GB drive the master drive. The usual prompt response will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

greatmightypoo

greatmightypoo

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Will you be installing your operating system on the new hard drive and then copying your old data files over, or are you planning on copying EVERYTHING on your current 30 GB to the new 80 GB including operating system AND all files?

volcar

volcar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi greatmightypoo, thanks for the response. I plan on doing the latter any suggestions

greatmightypoo

greatmightypoo

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Well creating a perfect byte-for-byte copy of your hard drive will require a disk imaging utility. The most popular and effective ones are Acronis True Imager, Drive Backup, and Partition Magic. Expect to pay around $50, however they are very effective and come with many other options. I myself purchased Partition Magic 8.0 when I wanted to copy the contents of my 7 GB drive to my 80 GB. Within an hour I was able to boot off of the new 80 GB with all my data intact.

volcar

volcar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi greatmightypoo, thanks for the advice it is greatly appreciated.