Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A-squared tells me i'm infected, still!

• Please log in to reply

brad656

brad656

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I need to know if I should worry. I'm not sure if I have a malware problem or not.
My computer is protected by Norton Antivirus, Ewido, Adaware SE, Spybot, and A-Squared. I use various online scans to clean my computer fully. Mostly, I use TrendMicro housecall.
A-Squared has a feature called "HiJackFree" which analysizes programs on your computer to see if they're infected by anything. It makes a big list on every program scanned and, beside it, puts a colour rating. The programs that are 'good'--meaning they provide a service and do not have any attached maladies--are given a little green smiley face beside them. The 'bad' programs--spyware, etc--are red devil faces. In between there's yellow-- either unneccessary programs or good programs that have a lot of bad programs attached to them.
I've been to the Malware help forum, and the person who helped my did a fine job. Most of the red files are gone and he gave me a clean bill of health.
However, there are still a lot of yellow programs when I do the check again--so I, apparently, have a lot of malware attached to otherwise good programs (my NeroFilterCheck, for instance). When I press the 'view details' button beside each listed program, it shows me what exactly is wrong with my yellow programs. It lists some pretty heavy stuff--multitudes of trojans, some worms, etc. But when I use AdAware SE, Spyware, Norton Antivirus, and when I do online scans with Kaspersky, Symantec or Trend Micro, I usually don't get anything bad listed at all. (Though, today, I scanned with TrendMicro--the first time I scanned it told me I had upwards of nine problems, the second time said zero, the 3rd time one, etc--on the first scan it also listed two problems that needed to be resolved manually, but the Housecall window closed when I tried to take them off).
I have a big list of all the 'problem' programs HiJackFree lists, and a list of the bad stuff the TrendMicro scan said I had. I try to 'search' for the problems, and get no results.
What I need to know is:
1. Is my computer's security as back as HiJackFree says it is?
2. If so, is there anyway I could get this stuff off without harming my 'good' programs?

Please, someone, help me! I've been pulling my hair out by the root for a week and a half trying to clean my computer up.
Thanks for considering my query.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Post a new HJT Log in a new topic in the malware forum with a link to the previous topic

JacobAtDell

JacobAtDell

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
hi brad656

To be Very Frank , I Have HAd Very BAd Experiecne With A-Squared , This Software Detects Important System File To BE Infected which is Not True, Its a Good Trojan Remover but Also detects some good files as spyware ... One Example was it detected explorer.exe to be infected when winxp was just install and it deleted few important dll files as well

i would recommend Trial Version of WEBROOT SPYSWEEPER which You Can download from

www.webroot.com/dell , this is 30 day trial, you can enjoy

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You would still be advised to submit an HJT Log to the malware forum

brad656

brad656

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Thank you very much JacobAtDell; I'd suspected that A-squared's list of infected files was a little long--if I had all the stuff wrong with my computer that it said I had, I don't think my computer would run as smoothly as it is. It listed pretty serious stuff, like a NetVision dialer, though I've never had any dialer problems whatsoever. I'll be sure to checkout that program you listed.

Keith, should I still post another HJT log on the malware forum, though I've been cleared by malware staff after posting a log and cleaning up a few things?--if so, how do I post a link to this thread?

Thanks to you both.

Edited by brad656, 23 March 2006 - 03:17 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Post a new log in case Phil unsubscribed to the topic and would not see anything you added

This is the link to the previous one, copy and paste it with the new log

http://www.geekstogo...ndpost&p=598897

brad656

brad656

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Done and done. Thanks very much.