Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 2000 desktop not loading

• Please log in to reply

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Sorry I am running Server 2000 will have to load 2000
you can try a repair if you have the cd.
Have you had our malware experts look at a log.

Solution: You can use the Windows 2000 repair feature to fix these problems.

The following steps provide a general overview of the repair process:

Start your computer from the Windows 2000 Setup disks or the CD.
Choose the repair option during setup.
After Setup finishes copying files from the last Setup disk, you begin the text-based Windows 2000 installation process. During this process, you can choose whether you want to install a fresh version of Windows 2000, or whether you want to repair or recover an existing installation of Windows 2000. To repair a damaged or corrupted system, you should select the repair option.

Choose the type of repair.
You can choose either the fast repair option, which is the easiest and does not require any user interaction, or you can choose the manual repair option, which requires user interaction. The fast repair option attempts to repair problems related to the registry, system files, the partition boot sector on your boot volume, and your startup environment (if you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system). Using the manual repair option, you can choose whether you want to repair system files, partition boot sector problems, and startup environment problems, but you cannot repair problems with your registry. For example, using the manual repair option, you can attempt to repair your system files if you know that your partition boot sector and your startup environment are both intact.

Start the repair process.
To start the repair process, you need the 1.44-megabyte (MB) ERD that you created in the Backup utility, and the original Windows 2000 installation CD. During the repair process, missing or corrupted files are replaced with files either from the Windows 2000 CD or the systemroot\repair directory, which means any changes you made to the system after you originally installed Windows 2000 or since you last created an ERD could be lost.

Restart your computer.
If the repair process was successful, you are prompted to restart your computer. You should then have a working system.

Advertisements

segerkm

segerkm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Sorry, Peter... not sure what you mean by "Control Folders" or "Control Users." I tried typing each in the New Task window, but nothing happened. Or am I looking for folders with these names?

Interestingly, CPU usage is now almost nothing, even though all of the same processes seem to be running and using about the same amount of memory. Strange.

segerkm

segerkm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I got your message and that worked in terms of creating a new user, but the desktop isn't loading when I log in as that user, either. Unfortunately, I don't have the install disks (but can probably get them next week).

I have not had anyone look at a process log, but I did go through all of the steps short of posting a Hijack This log. I'll go do that and let you know if they are able to find anything.

Thanks for your help and patience!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Control users was to get you to the same place as control userpasswords
In server 2000 you add a user in a different manner to normal 2000
I will load 2000 on my machine.
I think a hijack is a good idea. can you start internet explorer or any web browser
If yes in my sig there is a link for an online scan see if you can use this

Finron

Finron

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have exactly the same problem !

Help please !

Finron

Finron

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hooray !!!