Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ibm t22 screen problem

• Please log in to reply

uu60

uu60

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
My ibm t22 laptop has a 15" screen , the screen is no longer backlit . to be precise , I can see the screen under my halogen lamp of doom , but nowhere else , and barely at that , but the screen still works , can't adjust contrast or nething.
HELP.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi uu60

You've already diagnosed the problem as being the backlight, right? So it's just a question of whether it's the tube (lamp) thats failed or the invertor. The most likely component is the inverter.

You can actually find the inverters very cheaply on Ebay, or you can buy one from a store for a lot more money. Either way, you will still need to take it to a repair shop to be fitted. This is not a particularly difficult process but inverters are high voltage components & screen disassembly is fiddley, so best to take it to a decent repair shop for fitting it.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Hi, I also have an IBM T22, and a T23, I have experienced no problems with them. Though I run into a simular problem with my old Sony VAIO laptop, which I bought a compatible 14.1" laptop monitor from ebay, and fitted the thing myself. It wasn't too hard, just the fuss of taking the thing apart. I believe it cost me £100 and that must have been a year, maybe a year and a half ago now.

uu60

uu60

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
not to sure how a laptop is made , are the inverter or whatever in the laptop itself , or can I just buy a new screen , because I can get a screen for about 20$. just asking is a new screen will fix the problem , or if the problem is inside the box.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Basically, when you buy a replacement LCD screen, it's often just the LCD panel that you are getting (i.e no casing, no cabling, no inverter etc). The inverter is a seperate item that usually screws on to the LCD panel.

Check out this link from lenovo's website which show the individual components in the screen, along with part numbers etc :

http://www-307.ibm.c...cid=MIGR-4PEHK3

uu60

uu60

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Thanks , ill bring it to the shop tommorow . I really should donate , you guys own so much :whistling: , well anyway , thx